[comp.windows.ms] Startup DOS Session?

mun@hpcc01.HP.COM (Duane T. Mun) (11/15/90)

How do you automatically (in win.ini) start a DOS session, as an icon, when
Windows "boots up"?

I use WINFILE to startup the File Manager, but I can't find one for DOS.

Thanks for your help.

--
Duane T. Mun (mun@hpcc01.corp.hp.com)

doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) (11/16/90)

How about in the LOAD= or RUN=... try COMMAND.COM.
Make sure that you have a pif file for it to say that you
want it windowed, not full screen (or change _DEFAULT.PIF
to windowed, which makes all dos programs windowed).

Of course, you need to be running in enhanced mode...

Doug in Australia.

mavanamm@pb2esac.UUCP (Marnix A. van Ammers) (11/17/90)

In article <2730005@hpcc01.HP.COM> mun@hpcc01.HP.COM (Duane T. Mun) writes:

>How do you automatically (in win.ini) start a DOS session, as an icon, when
>Windows "boots up"?
>
>I use WINFILE to startup the File Manager, but I can't find one for DOS.

You have to create a PIF file for your application.  Then you can make
reference to the PIF file on the "load=" line in your WIN.INI file.  So,
for example you might create a PIF file (using the PIF editor
program) for PROCOMMEXE and call it PROCOMM.PIF .  Then you put

LOAD = PROCOMM.PIF

in your WIN.INI file.  I hope I got that right.  I'm not at my AT
right now.

---
Marnix