[comp.windows.ms] Seeking opinions on "CView" Windows C code editor

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (11/07/90)

Page 124 of the Nov. 5 90 "InfoWorld" features an ad for a $99 product
named "CView" that is a Windows 3.0 editor for C language source code.
I have requested literature. (For the curious, they are at 801-377-4558.)
An unusual feature is that the price includes the entire source code for
the editor!  (Talk about an open architecture....)

Anyway, has anyone used this?  Is it reliable?  Robust?  It seems very
reasonably priced.  (Especially for a Windows app!  :-)  )

Tom Rombouts  Torrance Techie  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com  V:(213) 538-7108

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (11/09/90)

In article <1595@ashton.UUCP> tomr@ashton.UUCP (Tom Rombouts) writes:
>Page 124 of the Nov. 5 90 "InfoWorld" features an ad for a $99 product
>named "CView" that is a Windows 3.0 editor for C language source code.
>(...)
>Anyway, has anyone used this?  Is it reliable?  Robust?  It seems very
>reasonably priced.  (Especially for a Windows app!  :-)  )

I certainly wouldn't buy version 1.0, which is what they've shipping now.
It sounds good except for the fact that it has a maximum file size of
34 KB!  (They aren't virtualizing the edit controls, you see.)  In my
mind, that makes it useless for most of my work.  They say that this
will be fixed in version 1.1, which should be released in a couple of
weeks.  (And they promise free upgrades.)

The other problem is that, from talking to a sales guy on the phone, it
sounds like to customize it at all you need to recompile it.  (That is,
to change the accelerators, etc.)  This is fine if you happen to have
MSC and the SDK, but otherwise you're in the lurch.

(Disclaimer: It's possible that I misunderstood the sales rep at any
point in our conversation, so consider this all second-hand info at
best.)

--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"It doesn't have to work... they'll be paralyzed just from laughing at me."

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (11/09/90)

James Seidman <jls@hsv3.UUCP> writes:
>> Anyway, has anyone used [CView]?  Is it reliable?  Robust?  It seems very
>> reasonably priced.  (Especially for a Windows app!  :-)  )

> I certainly wouldn't buy version 1.0, which is what they've shipping now.
> It sounds good except for the fact that it has a maximum file size of 34 KB!

Yeah, it looks like a kiddie editor.  32K, no MDI, no macros, no regular
expressions, no keyboard remapping ...  the only good thing is the license
agreement which even lets you use the source in a commercial product (as long
as it's not an editor)!

I'm *still* looking for a good editor for Windows!  Neither CView nor the
one from Houston Code Works is a sufficiently "real" editor for me; and I
haven't been impressed by the few commercial products, either.

Well, let's see, if I take STEVIE and change the event handling and...  :)

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

garym@cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net (Gary Murphy) (11/10/90)

Tom> I'm *still* looking for a good editor for Windows!  Neither CView nor the
Tom> one from Houston Code Works is a sufficiently "real" editor for me; and I
Tom> haven't been impressed by the few commercial products, either.

Tom> Well, let's see, if I take STEVIE and change the event handling and...  :)

This isn't as bizarre as you might think!  Try the TAME program!

'Tame' is a TSR which somehow intercepts keyboard polling and serial
port traffic and optimizes the windows idle detection.  You should be
able to find TAME on SIMTEL.

--
o| Gary Murphy                                                            |o

tracy@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Tracy Elmore) (11/17/90)

Yeah, we bought it and tried using it, but honestly werent too impressed.  The main limitaition is that it uses Windows edit control as the core, and is therefore limited to about 32K files or  so.  Folks at CView say that a more powerfull version of it is on the way, but we havent gotten it  so far.  It has some nice feattures, like automatic C formatting, for instance, however, its so slow that it is hardly usable.  Basically it is a Notepad with a couple of features.

Alex Zeltser