[comp.windows.ms] Paradise Plus and 2A monitor

frank@odetics.com (Frank Merrow) (10/20/90)

I am thinking about getting Windows 3.0, but before I do that I want to junk
my Herc card and Mono monitor.  I have an OLD PC Limited (aka Dell) system
that still has the OLD 6Mz Bus.  My original thinking was that I would buy a
high end board/monitor (VRAM and 3D) so that later when I upgraded my system
to a 386 they would fit right into the system.  Now my thinking is that even
if I did get a 386 system, I would keep my old 286 and link them with Lantastic
or some such and would probably want to have VGA (Super VGA?) on BOTH systems.
Obviously I don't need to spend big bucks for a 6Mz bus.  The Paradise Plus
and a 2A monitor has been recommended as being a "good buy for the money", but
it was questionable if Window 3.0 drivers where available.

1. Is this a good buy and if not what would you recommend instead?

2. Are Drivers now available?

3. If I was feeling poor when I upgraded to a 386, how much would this card
   hurt my 386 performance.

4. Considering the age of this system, will I need to update my BIOS to use
   VGA boards?

Any information and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Frank
frank@odetics.com

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (10/21/90)

In article <1990Oct20.002051.23154@odetics.com> frank@odetics.com
(Frank Merrow) writes:
>....The Paradise Plus
>and a 2A monitor has been recommended as being a "good buy for the money", but
>it was questionable if Window 3.0 drivers where available.

I would like to point out that drivers have been available from
Paradise for a very long time. The latest version(s) of their drivers
are available from their BBS (which is actually Western Digital's BBS)
Paradise 415-968-1834. I have an card that uses a Paradise chipset,
and I had two reasons for buying it. First, because it is a clone card
it was cheap (for the time... :-( ), and second, it had windows 3.0
drivers available for it.

kartik

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Network Manager, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

woan@iti.org (Ronald S. Woan Jr.) (10/22/90)

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
>I would like to point out that drivers have been available from
>Paradise for a very long time. The latest version(s) of their drivers
>are available from their BBS (which is actually Western Digital's BBS)
>Paradise 415-968-1834. I have an card that uses a Paradise chipset,
>and I had two reasons for buying it. First, because it is a clone card
>it was cheap (for the time... :-( ), and second, it had windows 3.0
>drivers available for it.

I also have a Paradise chipset card now, as it was the cheapest that I
could find when I bought it, but Paradise based cards have the severe
defect of not being able to support 800x600 mode with 256 colors... If
I remember correctly, the 2A is an 800x600 multisync, so I would
recommend a Trident 8900 (or even older 8800) or Tseng Labs 4000
chipset based card which also have Windows 3.0 drivers and are in the
same price range these days.

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (10/22/90)

In article <3952@awdprime.UUCP> woan@iti.org (Ronald S. Woan Jr.) writes:
>akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
>>[]drivers have been available from
>>Paradise for a very long time. The latest version(s) of their drivers
>>are available from their BBS (which is actually Western Digital's BBS)
>>Paradise 415-968-1834. I have an card that uses a Paradise chipset,
>>and I had two reasons for buying it. [one was]
>>it had windows 3.0 drivers available for it.
>I also have a Paradise chipset card now, as it was the cheapest that I
>could find when I bought it, but Paradise based cards have the severe
>defect of not being able to support 800x600 mode with 256 colors... If
>I remember correctly, the 2A is an 800x600 multisync, so I would
>recommend a Trident 8900 (or even older 8800) or Tseng Labs 4000
>chipset based card which also have Windows 3.0 drivers and are in the
>same price range these days.

I just received a message from someone who called the Western Digital
BBS, and found that unless you were a registered user, you could not
log in. So I tried, and did not get an answer. If WD/Paradise has
changed their policies, that would be a shame. Also, if anyone knows
what the status of their BBS is, I would be grateful for information.

kartik

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Network Manager, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)
Department of Computer Science,                         (503)346-4156 (direct)
University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-1202

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (10/22/90)

After not being able to get through to the Paradise PPS 1-415-968-1834
a couple of times, I finally got through. It seems to me that they
have more than one line attached to their phone number, and possibly
more lines than modems available, so it can just ring with nothing
happening, which is possibly what happened.

What follows is a screen shot of their latest driver set, along with
information about it. I *believe* the driver set on CICA is older.

         Description                  Filename      Size      Date
        1  Windows 3.0 VGA Drivers    WIN3_0.EXE    193,822   7-30-90
          (Includes drivers for all
           Paradise VGA cards.)

 PLEASE NOTE: VGA+,VGA+16,VGA 1024 WITH 256K CAN ONLY USE(800X600X16)
              VGA PRO(800X600X16,640X480X256),VGA 1024 512K CAN USE ANY!

        The file WIN3_0.EXE is self extracting, copy it to an
        empty subdirectory and type WIN3_0.EXE
        For instructions on loading drivers read text file included.

It is sad that they cannot do 800x600x256, as a pervious poster noted,
but I like their level of support.

kartik

--

mitsolid@acf5.NYU.EDU (Thanasis Mitsolides) (10/23/90)

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:

>After not being able to get through to the Paradise PPS 1-415-968-1834
>a couple of times, I finally got through.
>         Description                  Filename      Size      Date
>     ------------------------------------------------------------------
>        1  Windows 3.0 VGA Drivers    WIN3_0.EXE    193,822   7-30-90
>          (Includes drivers for all
>           Paradise VGA cards.)

Can someone put this file on cica.cica.indiana.edu?
I can put it there myself if someone mails it to me.

Thanks a lot,

Thanasis

Internet: mitsolid@cs.nyu.edu	             (mitsolid%cs.nyu.edu@relay.cs.net)
UUCP    : ...!uunet!cmcl2!cs!mitsolid

jones@speedy.cs.pitt.edu (Randy Jones) (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct21.053426.22084@cs.uoregon.edu> akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
>I would like to point out that drivers have been available from
>Paradise for a very long time. The latest version(s) of their drivers
>are available from their BBS (which is actually Western Digital's BBS)
>Paradise 415-968-1834. I have an card that uses a Paradise chipset,
>and I had two reasons for buying it. First, because it is a clone card
>it was cheap (for the time... :-( ), and second, it had windows 3.0
>drivers available for it.

Okay, so I copied the Paradise drivers for Windows 3.0 from this BBS,
and I can't get them to work.  I tried installing the 640x480x256 and the
1024x768x16 drivers separately and either one gives me just a black
screen when I start up windows.  Anybody seen this problem before?
I have a 386 25MHz w/ 4MB, and the Main chip on my video board starts
with WDC'89, so I assume it really is a paradise chip like I was told.
Help.

Randy Jones

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (10/28/90)

In article <8972@pitt.UUCP> jones@speedy.cs.pitt.edu.UUCP (Randy Jones) writes:

>Okay, so I copied the Paradise drivers for Windows 3.0 from this BBS,
>and I can't get them to work.  I tried installing the 640x480x256 and the
>1024x768x16 drivers separately and either one gives me just a black
>screen when I start up windows.  Anybody seen this problem before?
>I have a 386 25MHz w/ 4MB, and the Main chip on my video board starts
>with WDC'89, so I assume it really is a paradise chip like I was told.
>Help.

You need to have 512 K of video memory to get 640x480x256 or
1024x768x16. The card I have has only 256 K and exhibits similar
behavoir if I tru and use an unsupported mode. You should check to see
how much memory you hve on your video card. If you have only 256K,
then the only thing that the paradise drivers will give you (that the
windows) drivers don't already give you) is a 800x600x16 display

kartik

--

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (11/17/90)

In article <8972@pitt.UUCP> jones@speedy.cs.pitt.edu.UUCP (Randy Jones) writes:
>>I would like to point out that drivers have been available from
>>Paradise for a very long time. The latest version(s) of their drivers
>>are available from their BBS (which is actually Western Digital's BBS)
>>Paradise 415-968-1834. I have an card that uses a Paradise chipset,

>Okay, so I copied the Paradise drivers for Windows 3.0 from this BBS,
>and I can't get them to work.  I tried installing the 640x480x256 and the
>1024x768x16 drivers separately and either one gives me just a black
>screen when I start up windows.  Anybody seen this problem before?
>I have a 386 25MHz w/ 4MB, and the Main chip on my video board starts
>with WDC'89, so I assume it really is a paradise chip like I was told.
>Help.

Two things. First (and less important), the NEC 2A only does 800x600,
so the 1024x768 should not work at all.

Second (FAQ!!!), you need 512 K to get 640x480x256 or 1024x768x16

If you have only 512 K, the only mode that the drivers will support is
800x600x16.

kartik