[comp.windows.ms] Bulleted lists in WfW

roller@jessica.stanford.edu (Jason Deines) (11/14/90)

Greetings.  I am trying to move a document from Ami Pro 1.2 to Winword 1.1.
This document makes extensive use of bulleted lists, which Ami Pro handles
quite nicely with a "bullet" type defined as a style attribute.  One can
get large or small back circles or squares as a bullet, as well as a couple
of other characters.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to duplicate this feat in
Winword.  I've RTM, but when I use the 0149 alt-keypad combination or look
in KEYCAPS.DOC for the bullet character, I get what is essentially a
lower-case "o", and this isn't acceptable.  Is there some other trick I can
use?  How does Ami Pro do its thing?  I'd really like to be able to use a
small black dot, about twice the size of a period and moved up from the
bottom of the line.

Have I just bumped up against (another) limitation in Word for Windows?
Any advice would be much appreciated.  Email or post, and I'll post a
summary of email responses in a few days.  Thanks.

Jason Deines                   Academic Information Resources
roller@jessica.stanford.edu    Sweet Hall, Third Floor
(415) 723-1055                 Stanford, CA  94305

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov14.084645.1474@portia.Stanford.EDU> roller@jessica.stanford.edu (Jason Deines) writes:

>Greetings.  I am trying to move a document from Ami Pro 1.2 to Winword 1.1.
>This document makes extensive use of bulleted lists, which Ami Pro handles
>quite nicely with a "bullet" type defined as a style attribute.  One can
>get large or small back circles or squares as a bullet, as well as a couple
>of other characters.
>
>I can't for the life of me figure out how to duplicate this feat in
>Winword.  I've RTM, but when I use the 0149 alt-keypad combination or look

Change to the symbol font, and look in the file KEYCAPS.DOC to find out
which ASCII code is the bullet symbol.  I haven't done this myself, (I
deleted KEYCAPS.DOC, so now I have to find my disks), so I don't know
how well it works.

BTW, are you sure NumLock is on when you hit ALT-0149?

------------------------------------------------------------ The Time Traveler
Your daddy works in porno
Now that mommy's not around                                 timur@seas.gwu.edu
She used to love her heroin                               HE891C@GWUVM.GWU.EDU
But now she's underground              - Guns N' Roses

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov14.084645.1474@portia.Stanford.EDU> roller@jessica.stanford.edu (Jason Deines) writes:

>Greetings.  I am trying to move a document from Ami Pro 1.2 to Winword 1.1.
>This document makes extensive use of bulleted lists, which Ami Pro handles
>quite nicely with a "bullet" type defined as a style attribute.  One can
>get large or small back circles or squares as a bullet, as well as a couple
>of other characters.

The Mac word documentation suggests that if youwant a square bullet
character, create a graphic frame (W4W = insert picture), and give it
a border (format picture). I tried that, and I can't get the frame
small enough to be meaningful (it's a lot larger than Helv 10pt, which
is what I use.) So, the alternative is to conjure up a little graphic
in paintbrush or some such thing, and use that as the bullet
character. Remember that you can treat a graphic as a single
character.

Should work... Probably very poorly for anything that isn't totally
made up of horizontal and vertical lines.

kartik
--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Network Manager, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Froot Loop) (11/18/90)

>In article <1990Nov14.084645.1474@portia.Stanford.EDU> roller@jessica.stanford.edu (Jason Deines) writes:
>>Greetings.  I am trying to move a document from Ami Pro 1.2 to Winword 1.1.
>>This document makes extensive use of bulleted lists, which Ami Pro handles
>>quite nicely with a "bullet" type defined as a style attribute.  One can
>>get large or small back circles or squares as a bullet, as well as a couple
>>of other characters.

You could always use Zapf Dingbats as the font for your bullet.  Almost the
whole font is characters such as circles, triangles, moons, clovers, etc.

|   Randy Spangler                   |   Get your mind out of the gutter   |
|   rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu   |   you're blocking my periscope      |