[comp.windows.ms] Running Terminal in 386 mode

chen@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Hua Chen) (11/01/90)

Dear netters:

Helps needed in running Terminal in 386 ehanced mode.

Internal modem on COM3 works fine in standard mode.  But every time I
started Termnal in 386 mode, got a message "Com3 is used by DOS
application...", the box title says "Device Conflict".  Am I missing
something in setting?

I am using a Gateway2000 386SX with 2MB RAM

Tech. Support at Gateway2000 said it's due to a bug in Windows 3.0, and
will be fixed.  Is that true?  Any help or suggestion will be deeply
appreciated.

Hua Chen
Institute for Astronomy
University of Hawaii
E-mail: chen@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu

yeates@motcid.UUCP (Tony J Yeates) (11/07/90)

chen@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Hua Chen) writes:

>Internal modem on COM3 works fine in standard mode.  But every time I
>started Termnal in 386 mode, got a message "Com3 is used by DOS
>application...", the box title says "Device Conflict".  Am I missing

>I am using a Gateway2000 386SX with 2MB RAM

I have a friend with exactly the same problem, coincidently (?) with his
20Mhz 386 Gateway 2000 (his modem was factory fitted... bet hua's was too!)
If anybody knows a solution to this, please post it. (I  would have thought there
would be a work around).  I wonder if this is a hardware problem or a software
problem.

chen@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Hua Chen) (11/07/90)

Hi, I was asking the question of runing Term in 386 mode.  The problem
has been fixed with some help from dear netters. Since many people have
the same problem (the similar problem was posted in the lastest PC Mag.),
here is my solution:

The key is to tell computer what address the com3 is using, in my case,
it's 3e8 (Windows' default was incorrect).  What I did is add a line

Com3Base=3e8

in system.ini file.  It is that simple. Apparently Tech at Gateway2000
was all wrong.

Again thanks to those helped.

Hua Chen
Institute for Astronomy
chen@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu

burkley@cod.NOSC.MIL (V. J. Burkley) (11/19/90)

In article <421@nwnexus.WA.COM> kelpie@nwnexus.WA.COM (Anthony C. Garland) writes:
>chen@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Hua Chen) writes:
>>Dear netters:
>>Helps needed in running Terminal in 386 ehanced mode.
>>Internal modem on COM3 works fine in standard mode.  But every time I
>>started Termnal in 386 mode, got a message "Com3 is used by DOS
>>application...", the box title says "Device Conflict".  Am I missing
>>something in setting?
>
>>I am using a Gateway2000 386SX with 2MB RAM

Several answers have been posted answering this problem involving
adding the line COM3Base=3E8h to the system.ini file.  Well I tried this
and all I have been able to acheive is a very quit exit from windows when
I try and tell terminal I want to use com3 (where my modem is).  Also the
system roboots just to show it cares about me.  Terminal will run if
windows is started with win /r.  The modem is a BSM and my computer is
a Northgate 33 Mhz job.  The modem works fine with the BITCOM software
it comes with.  Other fun is even when terminal is running it constantly
thinks it is online.  I can type in the dialing command and it works
but terminal wont let me use the dial command.  Weird.  I have other
terminal programs that do WORK but I am curious if anyone else has
seen/solved this particular variant on this windows bug.  Email is fine.
Thanks in advance.

					-Joe
					burkley@cod.nosc.mil