[comp.windows.ms] kermit in windows3.0

mikel@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Mike Lipsie) (11/06/90)

In article <13885@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> wchen@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (W. Chen) writes:

>The terminal emulator that comes with windows 3.0 has kermit
>for file transfer. But I don't know how to make file transfers
>bwtween my 386SX and main frame computers. After I invoke kermit
>on the main frame host, I am expected to type a command  like
> ALT K  in procomm+  or em4105, but what do I do in windows3.0 terminal
>emulator?  Click on file receive  does not work.

To download files in Terminal you need to do two things.

First, you need to tell Terminal what protocol to use.  This is
done by clicking Settings.  Then click Binary Transfers...
(use Text Transfers... for downloading ASCII).  Then choose
Kermit (since Xmodem/CRC is the default).

Second, when you are ready to download the file click Transfer,
click Receive Binary File, and answer the appropriate questions.

What is happening to you now is that Terminal is trying to
receive the file using Xmodem protocol.

-----------
Mike Lipsie                               mikel@pyramid.com
Pyramid Technology Corp, Mountain View, CA  +1 415 335 8657
"Toto kansasoseum non est cognito" -- Phil Frank

quimby@itsgw.rpi.edu (Tom Stewart) (11/19/90)

In article <133089@pyramid.pyramid.com> mikel@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Mike Lipsie) writes:

>To download files in Terminal you need to do two things.
>
>First, you need to tell Terminal what protocol to use.  This is
>done by clicking Settings.  Then click Binary Transfers...
>(use Text Transfers... for downloading ASCII).  Then choose
>Kermit (since Xmodem/CRC is the default).
>
>Second, when you are ready to download the file click Transfer,
>click Receive Binary File, and answer the appropriate questions.
>
>What is happening to you now is that Terminal is trying to
>receive the file using Xmodem protocol.

It's been my experience that Terminal has trouble receiving files
using the kermit protocol, although it seems to send correctly.

Quimby

(replies to: quimby@mts.rpi.edu, quimby@rpitsmts.bitnet)