[comp.windows.ms] Background disk format

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (11/13/90)

I guess what I really want is a program to format a floppy that will
do it in the background so I can be working on other things while
formatting floppies. Make a boring task less boring!!

Any suggestions? 386sx box with 5M RAM and Win3.0 is the setup.
tj

twb@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.w.beattie) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov12.212722.2262@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
> I guess what I really want is a program to format a floppy that will
> do it in the background so I can be working on other things while
> formatting floppies. Make a boring task less boring!!
>
> Any suggestions? 386sx box with 5M RAM and Win3.0 is the setup.
> tj

I believe you can create a .BAT file to do the format and then run it from
a .PIF that allows background execution.

---
Tom Beattie
att!hoqaa!twb
t.w.beattie@att.com

bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) (11/20/90)

The simplest method is to run format in a DOS window with the Background
box checked.  It is slower than molasses in January, but it is
functional.  It works best if you have your format patched to beep when
finished.  (That way you notice it has quit.)

                                  -Brian

You drop the bomb -more-
It goes off... -more-
I am *NOT* as think as you dumb I am!! |  This space for rent (241-6939)
Disclaimer:  Even I don't agree with myself!
Please send me mail so I can send you mail so you can send me mail so ...