[comp.windows.ms] WfW outline tabs - how do I change them?

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (11/05/90)

I'm trying to create an outline in Word for Windows, but I can't seem to change
a certain "feature".  When I create a body text and number it, WfW inserts
the number, but I can't format the text the way I want it.

I. Customer Records
   A. Add A Customer
      1.    Allows you to add a primary account.  The screen changes to a
      customer-add form.  Data can be entered as with any full-screen form.
      Press F10 to save the accont and return to the customer records screen.
      Press F9 to save this account and enter another primary account.  Press
      F7 to save this customer and add a tail account.

What I really wanted was:

I. Customer Records
   A. Add A Customer
      1. Allows you to add a primary account.  The screen changes to a
         customer-add form.  Data can be entered as with any full-screen
         form.  Press F10 to save the accont and return to the customer
         records screen.  Press F9 to save this account and enter another
         primary account.  Press F7 to save this customer and add a tail
         account.

Any ideas?

hscohen@cbnewsl.att.com (harvey.s.cohen) (11/17/90)

In article <2303@sparko.gwu.edu>, timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) writes:
> I'm trying to create an outline in Word for Windows, but I can't seem to change
> a certain "feature".  When I create a body text and number it, WfW inserts
> the number, but I can't format the text the way I want it.
> I. Customer Records
>    A. Add A Customer
>       1.    Allows you to add a primary account.  The screen changes to a
> What I really wanted was:
> I. Customer Records
>    A. Add A Customer
>       1. Allows you to add a primary account.  The screen changes to a

All the standard numbering styles in WFW put a tab after the number.
You want a couple of spaces instead of a tab.  Go to View Outline,
Remove the existing numbers, and then manually number the first few
headings the way you want them, with spaces instead of tabs.
Then Renumber LEARN.
--
	Harvey S. Cohen / att!holin!hsc || hsc\@holin.ATT.COM
	AT&T Bell Labs / HO 2J202 / 908 949 0070

billp@hplsla.HP.COM (Bill Pritchard) (11/20/90)

>When I create a body text and number it, WfW inserts
>the number, but I can't format the text the way I want it.

>I. Customer Records
>   A. Add A Customer
>      1.    Allows you to add a primary account.  The screen changes to a
>      customer-add form.  Data can be entered as with any full-screen form.

>What I really wanted was:
>
>I. Customer Records
>   A. Add A Customer
>      1. Allows you to add a primary account.  The screen changes to a
>         customer-add form.  Data can be entered as with any full-screen

>Any ideas?

The way I do this is to format the first line of the paragraph with a
hanging indent (to left of the margin), starting at the point the number
should begin.  The rest of the lines will have the margin set up as usual.
The first tab stop for those paragraphs should then be set to be the same
as the margin (use the ruler line to do all this).  This method lets you
use the tab after the number.  Using the space method doesn't work with

You may want to set up these formats in Galley View or Page View mode.
Then use Outline mode to do the text entry.

Hope this helps,

                   Bill

Bill Pritchard                           Internet: billp@hplsla.lsid.HP.COM
Hewlett Packard Company                                 Phone: 206-335-2567
Lake Stevens Instrument Division                          FAX: 206-335-2828