[comp.windows.ms] 800 x 600 fonts anyone????

kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) (11/12/90)

O.K., now that I'm using the 800 by 600 by 256 drivers all I get is an
incredibly small screen font -- i.e. it seems to use the regular vga
fonts.  I installed the 8514 fonts but they really hash up all the
software -- nothing comes out properly and even though the letters are
readable they tend to get chopped off at the right hand side.

Sooooooo, does anyone have or know of a 800 x 600 font or a program
that would let me make one???

Kevin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc}!atha!kevinc

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (11/13/90)

In article <421@aupair.cs.athabascau.ca> kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) writes:
>O.K., now that I'm using the 800 by 600 by 256 drivers all I get is an
>incredibly small screen font -- i.e. it seems to use the regular vga
>fonts.  I installed the 8514 fonts but they really hash up all the
>software -- nothing comes out properly and even though the letters are
>readable they tend to get chopped off at the right hand side.
The 800x600x? drivers provided by ATI are configured as 96 dpi. The 8514 fonts
are 120 dpi. Since I wanted to use the 120 dpi fonts, I played with the driver
to see if there was anything obvious that could be done. I searched for the
pattern 60 00 60 00 in the file hoping that it would be the horizontal and
vertical resolution (16 bit integer representing 96, 96). I then selected a likely
looking match and substituted 78 00 78 00 (120,120). I am now running 120 dpi
drivers with 120 dpi fonts (quite nice too). This is not for the faint of heart
(nor for people who don't back up their systems). YMMV.
Gary Mussar  |Bitnet:  mussar@bnr.ca                  |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars53!mussar |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626

gda@netcom.UUCP (Gary Archer) (11/15/90)

From article <421@aupair.cs.athabascau.ca>, by kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker):
> O.K., now that I'm using the 800 by 600 by 256 drivers all I get is an
> incredibly small screen font -- i.e. it seems to use the regular vga
> fonts.  I installed the 8514 fonts but they really hash up all the
> software -- nothing comes out properly and even though the letters are
> readable they tend to get chopped off at the right hand side.
>
> Sooooooo, does anyone have or know of a 800 x 600 font or a program
> that would let me make one???
>
> Kevin
> --
> Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
> UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc}!atha!kevinc
> Inet: kevinc@cs.AthabascaU.CA
Use the 8514 fonts, they work great at 800x600... check in setup.inf
to get their correct names.

kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) (11/20/90)

In article <16823@netcom.UUCP> gda@netcom.UUCP (Gary Archer) writes:
>From article <421@aupair.cs.athabascau.ca>, by kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker):
>> Sooooooo, does anyone have or know of a 800 x 600 font or a program
>> that would let me make one???

>Use the 8514 fonts, they work great at 800x600... check in setup.inf
>to get their correct names.

No sorry, the 8514 fonts are too small.  I tried them and I couldn't
read the letters so I switched back to the vga fonts which look too big
and ugly.

Soooooo, I'm back to the original request.  Does, anyone have a 800 x
600 font?  I'll post what I get!

Kevin