[comp.windows.ms] Versions of MS Windows apps

nelson@bolyard.wpd.sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) (11/14/90)

I run Windows 3.0 on my 386 DX system in Enhanced 386 mode.  I got a demo
version of Excel for Windows from Microsoft and when I try to run it, it
tells me that it is for an older version of Windows.  When I click on "OK"
telling Windows to go ahead and try it, it immediately exits from Windows
back to the COMMAND.COM prompt.  (Well, at least they warned me that might
happen!).

This makes me painfully aware that if I am going to buy Word for Windows or
EXCEL for windows, I MUST be sure that I am buying a version that is
compatible with Windows 3.0. I know a software discounter that has GREAT
prices but no refunds.  If I buy WFW or EFW from him, and it isn't the
right version, I could be out some major dollars.

Trouble is, I've looked at a lot of packages of Word and Excel for windows
in stores, and I have never seen any mention of which version of Windows
the stuff works with.  I'd really HATE to buy some software, get it home,
and discover it all didn't work.  I've been told that If I run Windows in
REAL mode, it would work, but I've had trouble getting that to work, and in
any case that doesn't seem like a good solution.

Some questions:

1.  Is it possible to tell in the store a new package from an old one?
    If so, how?

2.  Does MicroSoft have an inexpensive upgrade policy?
    If I buy an obsolete package (e.g. Word for Windows 2.x) will it cost
    me almost as much as the price of a brand new package to upgrade?

3.  Can I get a Demo version of WFW and EFW that works with windows 3.0??

Please e-mail to an address below.
Nelson Bolyard  nelson@sgi.COM  {decwrl,sun}!sgi!whizzer!nelson  415-335-1919
Disclaimer: Views expressed herein do not represent the views of my employer.

dinda@rt10.cs.wisc.edu (Peter Dinda) (11/18/90)

    For the packages you specifically, Word for Windows version 1.1 and
    Excel 2.1D are the latest Windows 3.0 compatible versions.  There will
    be a new version of Excel (3.0) out by the beginning of next year.
    All versions of Windows Word are 3.0 compatible and all versions of
    Excel starting with 2.1C are 3.0 compatible.

smm@milton.u.washington.edu (Stephen Milton) (11/18/90)

FYI: Excel 2.1c was just the in house fix for Windows 3.0 at Microsoft.  It was
never released to the public, the released version is and was 2.1d.

Stephen Milton
Multiple Zones Int'l
Product Manager
The Mac Zone 1-800-248-0800
The PC Zone  1-800-258-8088

bob@rel.mi.org (Bob Leffler) (11/18/90)

In article <11331@milton.u.washington.edu> smm@milton.u.washington.edu (Stephen Milton) writes:

>FYI: Excel 2.1c was just the in house fix for Windows 3.0 at Microsoft.  It was
>never released to the public, the released version is and was 2.1d.

I beg to differ........

There are several hundred people here running 2.1c that was obtained during
the initial Windows upgrade period.

bob

--
Bob Leffler - Electronic Data Systems
bob@rel.mi.org or {uunet!edsews, sharkey}!rel!bob

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (11/19/90)

In article <11331@milton.u.washington.edu> smm@milton.u.washington.edu (Stephen Milton) writes:

>FYI: Excel 2.1c was just the in house fix for Windows 3.0 at Microsoft.  It was
>never released to the public, the released version is and was 2.1d.
>
>Stephen Milton
>Multiple Zones Int'l
>Product Manager
>The Mac Zone 1-800-248-0800
>The PC Zone  1-800-258-8088

Wrong!
Excel 2.1C was the version released as an update along with
the Upgrade offer to Windows 3.0 on May 21st.

Version 2.1D was never formally announced to the public at all
but instead was only sent to those of us who bitterly complained
over and over again about printing problems and the like.
As of July, 2.1D was shipped as the upgrade and as the regular
packaged product.  However, if you get the upgrade you will still
see in the letter the reference to version 2.1C and how wonderful
Excel now is under Windows 3.0.

- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

guy@contact.uucp (Guy Lemieux) (11/20/90)

In <11331@milton.u.washington.edu> smm@milton.u.washington.edu (Stephen Milton) writes:

>FYI: Excel 2.1c was just the in house fix for Windows 3.0 at Microsoft.  It was
>never released to the public, the released version is and was 2.1d.

Then how come 2.10c is the version I have?

ingridt@microsoft.UUCP (Ingrid TENGGREN) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov14.053941.21539@odin.corp.sgi.com> nelson@bolyard.wpd.sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) writes:
>Some questions:
>1.  Is it possible to tell in the store a new package from an old one?
>    If so, how?

MS retail packages--like those you find at BusinessLand--commonly list
the system requirements for the given application. Don't count on
the salesperson to be the most informed!

>2.  Does MicroSoft have an inexpensive upgrade policy?

Well, I dunno what inexpensive is defined as. We always have upgrade
packages for existing applications' users. Not being in Product Support,
I *can* offer you the number to call here for upgrade info:
		1-800-426-9400
Call this number for info about updating your product and for product
literature. This number's open 6:30am-5:30pm PDT.

Hope this helps.

ingrid johanna tenggren
Microsoft's Real Swede
{...uunet!microsof!ingridt}