[comp.windows.ms] Paradise Plus and NEC II monitor

jamesc@ashtate.A-T.COM (James Chuang) (11/19/90)

I have an OEM paradise card with 512k.  Over the weekend, I tried the 1024
driver from cica.cica.indiana.edu, fully expecting failure on my Mutlsync II.
I was very surprised when windows came up in the high resolution, and everything
worked great.  I even brought up a 50 line DOS window, and it was okay...
Until I heard a pop, a fizz, and see a flash and smoke from my vga card.
Further examination shows that a capacitor was fried, taking out a few other
little things along the way....  Has anyone heard of this problem?  or
is it just my card.......
jamesc

tris@alzabo.uucp (Tris Orendorff) (11/21/90)

jamesc@ashtate.A-T.COM (James Chuang) writes:

>I have an OEM paradise card with 512k.  Over the weekend, I tried the 1024
>driver from cica.cica.indiana.edu, fully expecting failure on my Mutlsync II.
>I was very surprised when windows came up in the high resolution, and everything
>worked great.  I even brought up a 50 line DOS window, and it was okay...
>Until I heard a pop, a fizz, and see a flash and smoke from my vga card.
>Further examination shows that a capacitor was fried, taking out a few other
>little things along the way....  Has anyone heard of this problem?  or
>is it just my card.......

	I think it is your card.  At one of the local computer stores,
they are constantly replacing OEM video cards.  The two most common complaints
from customers are snow on the screen in hi-res modes (shades of CGA!) and
defective memory (random pixels on the screen).
	ATI has had so many calls about their OEM video cards that they
stopped supporting them.  I believe they will also stop selling the ATI
chipset to everybody that wants some.

--
				Sincerely Yours
				Tris Orendorff

 LADY BRACKNELL:  He seems to have had great confidence in the opinion
                 of his physicians.