[comp.windows.ms] Procomm disables Com2 under Windows 3

spr003%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Jim Mansell) (11/18/90)

When I run Procomm (using a PIF file) under Windows 3 on my 386 Viglen AT, the
first attempt works OK but all subsequent attempts fail: the Procomm screen
comes up OK but there is no answer from the mainframe connection. Any attempt
to use a comms programme (Windows Terminal, WinQVT, Kermit-PC) also calls up
the screen display but gets no answer. A hard reset allows any of these
programs to work, but once Procomm is used once the same problem occurs again.

Procomm is configured to use Com2; other software can be configured to use
Com2 without problems, so the port itself seems OK.

The computer has Com1 to Com4 installed, with the 386 Enhanced options
in Control Panel set to 'always warn'.

Any ideas as to what might be the problem? Procomm is such as useful program
I would like to run it in preference to Terminal or WinQVT.

Jim Mansell

kelpie@nwnexus.WA.COM (Anthony C. Garland) (11/21/90)

spr003%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Jim Mansell) writes:

>When I run Procomm (using a PIF file) under Windows 3 on my 386 Viglen AT, the
>first attempt works OK but all subsequent attempts fail: the Procomm screen
>comes up OK but there is no answer from the mainframe connection. Any attempt
>to use a comms programme (Windows Terminal, WinQVT, Kermit-PC) also calls up
>the screen display but gets no answer. A hard reset allows any of these
>programs to work, but once Procomm is used once the same problem occurs again.

>Procomm is configured to use Com2; other software can be configured to use
>Com2 without problems, so the port itself seems OK.

>The computer has Com1 to Com4 installed, with the 386 Enhanced options
>in Control Panel set to 'always warn'.

>Any ideas as to what might be the problem? Procomm is such as useful program
>I would like to run it in preference to Terminal or WinQVT.

	I have had no trouble running Procomm through Com3 (my serial mouse
	is on Com1).  I needed to set Com3Base in system.ini, but after
	that it's worked like a champ.  (I agree with you, Procomm makes
	Terminal look like a VW.)

| Anthony C. Garland, P.E.                                 Garland Consulting |
| 1373 S. Bonanza Alley,                                       (206) 387-6390 |
| Camano Island, WA 98292                               kelpie@nwnexus.WA.COM |