[net.music] Some questions

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (07/10/85)

["I dreamed I had to take a test in a Dairy Queen on another planet."]

Here's another message that was posted to net.music that I received
personally but which never reached this end of the net.  I'm reposting
it so everyone can see it.  It is a buch of questions from Marek
Lugowski.

> From: marek@iuvax.UUCP (Marek W. Lugowski)

> 1) Who is Annette Peacock (X-DREAMS, Tomato)?  Has she recorded
> anything else?

> 2) What are Martha and the Muffins, a.k.a. M+M up to these days?  What
> are the former Muffins (and the other, now ex-Martha) up to?  How can
> these people be reached via U.S. Mail?  [Is OMD's "Architecture and
> Morality"'s sleve really acknowledging an ex-Martha, or am I having
> bad dreams? :-)]

> 3) What does "BFPO" stand for in that lovely Kate Bush song on NEVER
> FOR EVER?

It stands for "British Forces Posted Overseas" (or something very
similar to that).

> 4) Can P. Gabriel's 1st solo album's lyrics be got somehow?  Also:  Is
> the soundtrack to BIRDY worth the money?  Is the live album worth
> buying?

I've never seen the lyrics for his first album anywhere, and I too would
be very intersted in getting ahold of them.

The soundtrack to "Birdy" is very movie soundtrackish.  Also much of it
is instrumental versions of music that occurs on other albums (mostly
III and IV).  If you don't mind any of this, it is certainly worth the
money.

> 5) Could some knowledgeable fan of Romeo Void (actually, of Debra
> Ayall) post a short summary of what the band (and specifically, the
> wonderful lead voice) has done and what they're up to?

> thanks.					       -- Marek Lugowski
> 					             marek@indiana.csnet
> 		"You cast a shadow but you don't stand up to the light!"

> From Gary Koob:

> I don't know who Annette Peacock is, but she sings on
> the first Bruford album, "Feels Good to Me", and I've also
> seen a solo album of hers in the cutout bins.

> "Drowning in stylistic audacity..."

> Gary Koob
> University of Illinois
> ...!pur-ee!uiucdcs!uicsg!gmk

price@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Nathan Price) (07/30/85)

Recently there was a reposting of some questions from Marek Lugowski
on various subjects.  I have a partial answer for one of them, to wit:

> > 4) Can P. Gabriel's 1st solo album's lyrics be got somehow?  Also:  Is
> > the soundtrack to BIRDY worth the money?  Is the live album worth
> > buying?
>
> I've never seen the lyrics for his first album anywhere, and I too would
> be very intersted in getting ahold of them.
>
> > thanks.					       -- Marek Lugowski
> > 					             marek@indiana.csnet
> > 		"You cast a shadow but you don't stand up to the light!"

Indeed the lyrics for an entire album would be hard to find.  However,
the lyrics to "Here Comes the Flood" are printed on the inner sleeve
to Robert Fripp's 'Exposure' album, on which Gabriel and Fripp do a
[wonderful] minimalist version of the tune.  Since I consider that
song the most intense one on PG I, there's a start for you...

				Nathan Price
			"For 'tis the sport to have the engineer
				Hoist with his own petard."

petrick@lll-crg.ARPA (Jim Petrick) (08/04/85)

>> > 4) Can P. Gabriel's 1st solo album's lyrics be got somehow?  Also:  Is
>> > the soundtrack to BIRDY worth the money?  Is the live album worth
>> > buying?

	That depends on how much you have to pay for it.  If you like re-
mixed versions of his older stuff, this album is for you.  I picked it up
after seeing the movie (which was pretty good), and am glad I did.  I happen
to like 'Eno-esque' type non-vocal music and this album fits right in.  No
lyrics, just great versions of songs like:

	Not One of Us		-- (awesome drum solo)
	Family Snapshot    	-- (only 1 minute's worth)
	Rhythm of the Heat
	San Jacinto		-- (piano solo introduction)

	plus many rhythms and 'moods' (for lack of the right word) from
his other works.
	This album is *NOT* for the 'energetic' PG song-lovers.  Much of the
music is slow and 'background' (it IS a movie soundtrack).

	The live album is EXCELLENT.  Great versions of all the songs, except
perhaps for 'I Go Swimming', which I never did care for anyhow.  Since buying
the live album, I never listen to 'Secutity' anymore, the live versions are
better.
					-- Jim Petrick

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (08/08/85)

The other interesting feature of the "Birdy" soundtrack is the lifted
source material that *isn't* mentioned on the rear sleeve. The opening
piece on side 2 is actually the hocketed marimba part that opens
"No Self Control" (Keine Selbstkontrolle on the Deutsch version).

I found it of tremendous interest in terms of getting to hear Daniel
Lanois do his studio wizardry on *non* Brian Eno material (although
I guess that his work with Martha and the Muffins has to count here
as well). If you're at all familiar with the last two Enos-"The Pearl"
w/Harold Budd and "Apollo" with Roger Eno and Dan Lanois-this album will
sound a bit similar...particularly this lovely technique they've got
down where you'll hear the original sound delayed and EQed into near
unrecognizeability about 20 seconds later. By chaining a number of these
delays together, he gets this lovely spreading pattern of sounds that is
so subtle that you've got to have the stuff cranked up to really catch it.

Greg

I recognize no method of living that I know/I see only the basic materials I mayuse./If you ask me, I may tell you/It's bee this way for years. -David Sylvian
USENET:		{cmcl2,decvax,ihnp4}!cornell!lasspvax!gtaylor
ARPANET:	gtaylor@lasspvax.arpa
BITNET:		gtaylor@crnlthry.bitnet
Gregory Alan Taylor:162 Clark Hall:Cornell University:Ithaca,NY 14850:USA

pz@emacs.uucp (Paul Czarnecki) (08/15/85)

In article <450@lasspvax.UUCP> gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) writes:
>          If you're at all familiar with the last two Enos-"The Pearl"
>w/Harold Budd and "Apollo" with Roger Eno and Dan Lanois-this album will
>sound a bit similar...particularly this lovely technique they've got
>down where you'll hear the original sound delayed and EQed into near
>unrecognizeability about 20 seconds later. By chaining a number of these
>delays together, he gets this lovely spreading pattern of sounds that is
>so subtle that you've got to have the stuff cranked up to really catch it.

Yes, but didn't Robert Fripp use Eno's delay technique on some of his
solo albums.  _Let the Power Fall_, from a couple of years ago, and the
older one whose name I cannot remember.

He takes single guitar notes and puts them through a tape delay system:

      +---------------+               +---------------+
      |  _            |               |            _  |
      | / \           |               |           / \ |
      | |o|       o   |               |    o      |o| |
      | \_/           |               |           \_/ |
      |  \_________________________________________/  |
      |       ^       |               |       ^       |
      | + +   record  |               |       play  + |
      +-|-|-----------+               +-------------|-+
        | |                                         |
        | Guitar                                    Speaker
        Microphone

He can build some pretty incredble textures this way.  He can also do it
live.  I recomend these two albums.  (Sorry I can't remember the name of
the first one, I think one side was called _God Save the Queen_)

					Trumpets!
					I hear trumpets.
					It sounds like bells

					pZ
--
-- Laying here, Lyin' in bed.

   Paul Czarnecki
   Uniworks			decvax!{wanginst!infinet, cca}!emacs!pz
   20 William Street		emacs!pz@cca-unix.ARPA
   Wellesley, MA 02181		(617) 235-2600