[comp.windows.ms] Ventura for Windows

jin@eecg.toronto.edu (Jinwon Kim) (11/15/90)

Can somebody comment on their experience with Ventura for Windows?
What are the improvements over Ventura under GEM?
How does it compare now with Pagemaker in terms of flexability
and ease of use?

indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (11/21/90)

jin@eecg.toronto.edu (Jinwon Kim) writes:

>Can somebody comment on their experience with Ventura for Windows?
>What are the improvements over Ventura under GEM?
>How does it compare now with Pagemaker in terms of flexability
>and ease of use?

Just to add to some of the questions Jinwon is asking...

I currently run Ventura 2.0 and fire it up from Windows 3. On my Sony 1304, I
can run V2 in 1024x768 mode and really get good real-estate. I run my Windows
environment in 800x600 mode. Since Win in 1K-768 mode is not quite usable.

If I upgrade to Ven 3 for Windows... I doubt if I will be able to switch
resolutions like that, right? Atleast not without restarting Windows with the
new driver...

Will someone correct me if I am wrong?
--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com or {ames apple uunet}!amd!indra
      | (Indra Singhal) (408) 749-5445; Advanced Micro Devices
      | MS 167; Box 3453; 901, Thompson Pl., Sunnyvale, CA 94088

spage@cup.portal.com (S spage Page) (11/22/90)

See the discussion in comp.text.desktop (? I think that's the name).  VP
for Windows is buggy, crashes with UAE when you try to print if you have
fancy fonts, and apart from the nicer Windows UI and keyboard control has
basically *NO* enhancements over VP 2.0 Professional Extension for GEM.

Obviously not everyone has these problems (otherwise why would there be
all those glowing reviews in the computer rags? ;-( ), but we decided to
pay for VP Gold GEM edition after ordering the VP Gold Windows edition
upgrade.

Running VP Gold GEM edition from Windows is pretty nice.

=S