[comp.windows.ms] Looking for Draw Programs

perch@moore.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Perch) (11/20/90)

I am looking for a draw program for Windows 3.0 that is relatively
simple and inexpensive (~$200.)  The few I've seen are DTP-oriented in
their features (and prices!)  I just want a vector-based package for
diagrams and general drawing.

Thanks for any responses.

Andy Perch
PC Manager
University of PA  School of Engineering and Applied Science

andrzej@bcars268.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) (11/21/90)

In article <33139@netnews.upenn.edu>, perch@moore.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Perch) writes:

|> I am looking for a draw program for Windows 3.0 that is relatively
|> simple and inexpensive (~$200.)  The few I've seen are DTP-oriented in
|> their features (and prices!)  I just want a vector-based package for
|> diagrams and general drawing.
|>
|> Thanks for any responses.
|>
|> Andy Perch
|> PC Manager
|> University of PA  School of Engineering and Applied Science

If you could send the information to me as well (or post) I would
very appreciate it.

Andrzej Bieszczad                     | Phone:  (613) 763-2259
Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.          | Fax:    (613) 763-3283
Dept. 7G12, P.O. Box 3511, Station C, | USENET: uunet!bnrgate!eh!andrzej
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7      | BitNet: andrzej@BNR.CA

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (11/21/90)

In article <33139@netnews.upenn.edu>, perch@moore.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Perch) writes:

> I am looking for a draw program for Windows 3.0 that is relatively
> simple and inexpensive (~$200.)  The few I've seen are DTP-oriented in
> their features (and prices!)  I just want a vector-based package for
> diagrams and general drawing.
>
> Thanks for any responses.
>
> Andy Perch

Ditto!  The XVTDRAW package is a nice piece of shareware, but it's
just a little TOO simple and inexpensive.  I would love to have
something with XVTDRAW's capabilities, plus real patterns (not
just four or five character patterns), and spline curves.

When you get to real drawing packages for Windows, they all seem
to be at the level of Corel Draw -- capable, cost-effective, but
still a pile of money.

--
Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
"Meat is murder!"  "Dairy is rape!" -- Animal Liberation Front

andrew@b11.ingr.com (Poor Mr. Potter) (11/21/90)

perch@moore.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Perch) writes:

>I am looking for a draw program for Windows 3.0 that is relatively
>simple and inexpensive (~$200.)  The few I've seen are DTP-oriented in
>their features (and prices!)  I just want a vector-based package for
>diagrams and general drawing.

I use Micrographx Draw Plus, and find their new release well improved
over earlier versions.  I don't know what it now costs, but the upgrade
prices have been quite reasonable.
Andrew Potter                           |  Speaking out
Intergraph Corp	        205-730-8673    |    in behalf of
uunet!ingr!b23b!entropy!andrew          |      (null string)

tris@alzabo.uucp (Tris Orendorff) (11/21/90)

perch@moore.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Perch) writes:

>I am looking for a draw program for Windows 3.0 that is relatively
>simple and inexpensive (~$200.)  The few I've seen are DTP-oriented in
>their features (and prices!)  I just want a vector-based package for
>diagrams and general drawing.

Corel Draw! is very simple to use.  It sells for about $350.00.

--
				Sincerely Yours
				Tris Orendorff

 LADY BRACKNELL:  He seems to have had great confidence in the opinion
                 of his physicians.

andrzej@bcars268.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) (11/21/90)

A very nice person answered my question (THANKS A LOT!) and directed
me to Digital Research's "GEM - Presentation Team".

I have called their Toronto office ((416)360-5316) and a saleperson
informed me that their drawing program is not a Window`s program,
and that they do not have a format suitable to import to Word4Windows.
I tried to call the California office ((408)482-0700), but it seems
that the number is incorrect.

Some time ago I found a program (through another nice person on
the net) called XVTDraw, which is very good ("small is beautiful").
Unfortunately, it has been developed back in 1987 and from time to
time "bombs" in Windows's 386enh mode. It still might be
used in the real mode to create a set of clipboard files which are
imported to W4W running in the 386enh mode. Obviously it is inconvenient.

Maybe there is a new version of the program? Maybe its authors could
consider porting it to Win3 environment? If it was shareware, it
could be priced around $50.00, and I would not hesitate a single
second to pay for it that much. Hey, come on all you Window's wizards,
exercise the application niche!!!

NOTA BENE:

Designer and CorelDraw are too expensive for a user who needs to draw
pictures for papers (etc.), and who does not care about all those
presentation libraries. COREL has just increased its Canadian price
to almost $900.00, which is far above the value of the program and
the marketing policy of the company is a shame.

DO NOT BUY COREL, they deserve to be punished. If you need a good
presentation program BUY MS pOWERpOINT, which is very good and priced
more reasonably (I have been using it on MAC for long time, and the
Window's version is even better).

Andrzej Bieszczad                     | Phone:  (613) 763-2259
Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.          | Fax:    (613) 763-3283
Dept. 7G12, P.O. Box 3511, Station C, | USENET: uunet!bnrgate!eh!andrzej
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7      | BitNet: andrzej@BNR.CA

baldy@micor.UUCP (Andre Sastre) (11/23/90)

In article <1990Nov21.152324.10942@bigsur.uucp> andrzej@bcars268.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) writes:
various stuff ...

>NOTA BENE:

more stuff
>DO NOT BUY COREL, they deserve to be punished. If you need a good
>presentation program BUY MS pOWERpOINT, which is very good and priced
>more reasonably (I have been using it on MAC for long time, and the
>Window's version is even better).

For your information, the $900 is for version 2.0, which was released just
a few days ago.  And that is the list price.  I do not think that a lot
of people buy at list price.  A few weeks ago, I saw CorelDraw on sale
for $399 at a local shop, and that was their regular price (list was $795),
and this was for version 1.2 .  So I do not think that anybody will spend more
than $450-500 for the new release. (funds are in Canadian dollars.)

--
uucp: nrcaer!cunews!micor!baldy      internet: cunews!micor!baldy@nrcaer.UUCP
The Bald Eagle strikes again!

God created only so many perfect heads, the rest He covered with hair.