[comp.windows.ms] 1. com3 in enhanced, 2. himem.sys

ydist@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Yijun Ding) (11/10/90)

Two problems with win3.0, can someone explain?  Thanks.

1. I have two serial ports and my modem is configured to COM3. Terminal
  program from window would not run.  It give message "COM3 used by ...",
  etc.  Mskermit, Procomm and BitCom all seem to be able to dial etc., but
  you can not see anything on screen.  Without window, they all work fine.
  In Mskermit, set port=Bios3 seems the only way to make it work.  This
  setting does not work very well (lose char.) even without window.

  Strange, if use "win /s" --> start window in standard mode, all works
  including Terminal from window.

2. We have a program (APLII) with use protected mode (need 2mg to run, our
  machine has 4 mg, DELL310, Everex 386/20).  There is a utility program from
  APLII called RAM.COM, checking memory avaible.  With HIMEM.SYS in
  config.sys:

   RAM report MEM Ok. After exit window, RAM.COM report 0 extended mem and
   APLII can not be loaded.

   With device=emm386.sys 2048 in config.sys:  RAN report expanded mem Ok.
   After start window and then exit it, RAM report 0 expanded, 0 extended
   on Everex (so APLII can't run), but correct expanded, 0 extended on
   DELL.  Dell still able to run APLII.

  Running APLII in standard mode in window is no better -- we are not asking
  this much yet.

3. We have a little BOOT program.  It does not work in window.  It will hang
   the machines.

Any idea wellcome.

(412)624-0134 (DR. DING)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/22/90)

In article <59216@unix.cis.pitt.edu> ydist@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Yijun Ding) writes:
>Two problems with win3.0, can someone explain?  Thanks.
>
>1. I have two serial ports and my modem is configured to COM3. Terminal
>  program from window would not run.  It give message "COM3 used by ...",
>  etc.  Mskermit, Procomm and BitCom all seem to be able to dial etc., but
>  you can not see anything on screen.  Without window, they all work fine.
>  In Mskermit, set port=Bios3 seems the only way to make it work.  This
>  setting does not work very well (lose char.) even without window.
>
>  Strange, if use "win /s" --> start window in standard mode, all works
>  including Terminal from window.

Don't know.

>2. We have a program (APLII) with use protected mode (need 2mg to run, our
>  machine has 4 mg, DELL310, Everex 386/20).  There is a utility program from
>  APLII called RAM.COM, checking memory avaible.  With HIMEM.SYS in
>  config.sys:
>
>   RAM report MEM Ok. After exit window, RAM.COM report 0 extended mem and
>   APLII can not be loaded.
>
>   With device=emm386.sys 2048 in config.sys:  RAN report expanded mem Ok.
>   After start window and then exit it, RAM report 0 expanded, 0 extended
>   on Everex (so APLII can't run), but correct expanded, 0 extended on
>   DELL.  Dell still able to run APLII.
>
>  Running APLII in standard mode in window is no better -- we are not asking
>  this much yet.

Things like himem.sys and qemm implement the XMS spec. Upon first use of XMS,
(by windows), it takes all the extended memory. Your application would work
if it adhered to the XMS spec.

>3. We have a little BOOT program.  It does not work in window.  It will hang
>   the machines.

This is a bad thing to do anyway.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

tjon@plains.NoDak.edu (Christopher C. Tjon) (11/24/90)

In article <1990Nov21.191907.11099@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
> >1. I have two serial ports and my modem is configured to COM3. Terminal
> >  program from window would not run.  It give message "COM3 used by ...",
> >  etc.  Mskermit, Procomm and BitCom all seem to be able to dial etc., but
> >  you can not see anything on screen.  Without window, they all work fine.
> >  In Mskermit, set port=Bios3 seems the only way to make it work.  This
> >  setting does not work very well (lose char.) even without window.
> >
> Don't know.

Try checking the IRQ setting on your modem.. Terminal will NOT work under Any
IRQ other that 3 or 4.   I am entirely sure that that is your problem because of
the fact that you are setting your port in kermit to BIOS 3.  Just find you
modem manual and look at what jumpers indicate which IRQ you are using.
REMEMBER THE COM/MODEM IRQ's MUST NOT CONFLICT with each other.  If you find
that my solution is incorrect or that you can make it work on an IRQ other that
3 or 4 please email me and let me know how you pulled it off.  I have been
struggling with the fact that kermit and terminal will not work with a non 3 or 4 IRQ.
--
Chris Tjon
      UUCP:     	...!uunet!plains!tjon        Box 5224