[comp.windows.ms] Smaller fonts and windows in 3.0

dd2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Eugene Dwiggins) (11/15/90)

Is there any way to decrease the size of the fonts and windows in Windows
3.0? I would really like to see more stuff on the screen.

Thanks,

David Dwiggins (dd2x@andrew.cmu.edu)

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (11/16/90)

In article <wbEQHrO00XQ=40k2cO@andrew.cmu.edu>, dd2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Eugene Dwiggins) writes:
> Is there any way to decrease the size of the fonts and windows in Windows
> 3.0? I would really like to see more stuff on the screen.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Dwiggins (dd2x@andrew.cmu.edu)

You could always try installing the next smallest set of fonts (eg. use EGA for
VGA). This might require some renaming. I use the VGA fonts in 800x600 mode, and
although they seemed a bit small initially, I've got used to them now, and
appreciate the extra amount that I fit on the same 14" screen.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |

doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) (11/16/90)

You want to use smaller fonts?
Easy.
Tell Win/3 to use a smaller font in the SYSTEM.INI file.
For instance, if you have VGA, use the EGA fonts.

Modify the SYSTEM.INI file where it shows VGA font names
to use EGA (Sorry, I'm doing this from memory so I can't
be specific).

Here's an idea; use Win's SETUP to state that you have an
EGA.  Then backup the SYSTEM.INI file and do the same for
VGA.  Compare the two and only modify the EGA/VGA differences
so that VGA screen fonts are used.

This does work, btw.  I have done this with my SVGA to use
EGA screen fonts.  And yes, you do get more information on
the screen.

E-mail me if the above was hopeful and not helpful.

Doug Parsons, Australia.

james@chama.unm.edu (James Singer) (11/25/90)

In article <2770003@hparc0.HP.COM> doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) writes:
>You want to use smaller fonts?
>Easy.
>Tell Win/3 to use a smaller font in the SYSTEM.INI file.
>For instance, if you have VGA, use the EGA fonts.

ok, what if you happen to be running(bleh)CGA, then what, I am not getting very much info on the screen at all, I would be really interested in any way to do
this.

Please help me, I want more to fit.