[comp.windows.ms] hDC Windows Express bug?

roper@nwnexus.WA.COM (Michael Roper) (11/11/90)

Silvia Takahashi writes:

> [...that if Express is installed as the shell, the
> "Maximize Automatically" option can cause a UAE.]

Yes, there appear to be some inconsistencies in the way
Windows interacts with shell applications.  While none
of the systems at hDC exhibit this problem (I have run
with the above configuration for months without seeing
this behavior), it has been reported by others and will be
addressed in the next version of Express (or, even better,
Windows).  Until then, the workaround is to disable the
"Maximize Automatically" option.

Michael Roper
Product Lead, Windows Express
hDC Computer Corporation

roper@nwnexus.WA.COM (Michael Roper) (11/13/90)

Mark Medici writes:

> I for one, and I am sure the general public, are
> getting sick and tired of being forced to wait and
> pay for bug fixes in the form of upgraded versions.

I share your frustration, Mark.  hDC is committed to
producing high-quality products.  All of our products
undergo rigorous internal and beta testing and we don't
ship a product until all known bugs have been fixed.
Unfortunately, minor problems such as the one that
prompted your article do occasionally surface after
the product has shipped.

However, establishing a policy of immediate bug fixes
and updates is expensive -- an expense that would be
directly reflected in higher product prices -whether
or not any bugs are eventually discovered-.  The
problem with this approach is that the higher price
now includes an "insurance premium" that most customers
will never benefit from -- and even those that do may
decide that the higher cost doesn't justify the benefit.

By releasing only high-quality products and incorporating
minor bug fixes into the next version of a product, the
original cost to the consumer is minimized.

As for upgrades, the policy of hDC has always been to
charge only a nominal fee for a new version of a product.
Both Windows Express 3.0 and FirstApps 1.0 (formerly
Windows Manager) retail for $99.  The upgrade cost for
either is 19.95, for both it is 34.95.

> If an advertised feature is not working as described, the
> publisher/marketer should make the necessary reparations
> without charge...

If the "Maximize Automatically" feature is broken on your
machine and because of this you decide that Express is no
longer worth the price you paid for it, please contact hDC
to arrange for a full refund.

Mark Medici writes:

> I for one, and I am sure the general public, are
> getting sick and tired of being forced to wait and
> pay for bug fixes in the form of upgraded versions.

I share your frustration, Mark.  hDC is committed to
producing high-quality products.  All of our products
undergo rigorous internal and beta testing and we don't
ship a product until all known bugs have been fixed.
Unfortunately, minor problems such as the one that
prompted your article do occasionally surface after
the product has shipped.

However, establishing a policy of immediate bug fixes
and updates is expensive -- an expense that would be
directly reflected in higher product prices.  The problem
with this approach is that the higher price now includes
an "insurance premium" that most customers will never
benefit from -- and even those that do may decide that
the benefit is insufficient to justify the cost.

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (11/25/90)

In article <Nov.11.16.01.36.1990.5176@dorm.rutgers.edu> medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) writes:
>roper@nwnexus.WA.COM (Michael Roper) writes:
>
>>Silvia Takahashi writes:
>
>>> [...that if Express is installed as the shell, the
>>> "Maximize Automatically" option can cause a UAE.]
>
>>Yes, there appear to be some inconsistencies in the way
>>Windows interacts with shell applications.  While none
>>of the systems at hDC exhibit this problem (I have run
>>with the above configuration for months without seeing
>>this behavior), it has been reported by others and will be
>>addressed in the next version of Express (or, even better,
>>Windows).  Until then, the workaround is to disable the
>>"Maximize Automatically" option.
>
>With all due respect and politeness, I strongly suggest that hDC offer
>a fixed version of Express to its registered customers as soon as
>possible and at no charge.  I for one, and I am sure the general
>public, are getting sick and tired of being forced to wait and pay for
>bug fixes in the form of upgraded versions.  Often, the new or
>improved features of an upgrade are also accompanied by their own
>anomalies, and are of secondary importance to a user who really only
>needs a fully functional version of the existing product.
>
>If an advertised feature is not working as described, the
>publisher/marketer should make the necessary reparations without
>charge to persons who legally acquire and use the product.  Doing
>otherwise diminishes the benefits of paying for a product (versus
>pirating it) and erodes confidence in and loyalty to you, the
>publisher/marketer.
>
>I believe that upgrades are an important service to the industry.
>However, a registered owner should not be forced to pay for an upgrade
>to correct existing problems with a product.  Rather, the user should
>be allowed the ability to determine the appropriateness of the new
>features in his/her environment, and decide to purchase or pass on the
>upgrade based on this evaluation.
>--
>Mark Medici/SysProg3 * Rutgers University/CCIS * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

  They are probably no worse than much of the industry and may even be better
but the point is well taken - if cars can be recalled then so can software.

  I dont think that a govt agency (=lobbying center) is the answer but maybe
a software users foundation (there *is* a Software Publishers association
to promote *their* interests) is appropriate. Software licenses and their
caveats notwithstanding, I think the presence of a feature implies a
warantee for its operation and functionality and a bug is a breech (sp?) of
that warantee. It's time to see that such explicit and implied warantees
are enforced.

 Does anyone know of such an organization ?

Jeff Sicherman