[comp.windows.ms] Word Processor Selection

peter@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Peter J Diaz de Leon) (11/06/90)

	I am in the process of getting rid of my old
	word processor (Borland's Sprint) and purchasing
	a new one.  I am looking at the following three:

		1) Word Perfect
		2) Ami Professonal
		3) MS Word for Windows
		4) ???

	If any one has any opinions on the above mentioned
	WP's or another one I would really appreciate any
	opinions.  I am leaning to WP's with a GUI.  I am
	betting that Word Perfect will be comming out
	with one soon.

				Thanks
				Peter

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee             USMAIL:  Peter J. Diaz de Leon
Computer Science Department                              7411 W. Warnimont Ave
                                                         Milwaukee, WI. 53220
ARPA: peter@cvax.cs.uwm.edu                     Daytime: (414)229-3886
UUCP: {wuarchive, rutgers, lll-winken} !uwm!miller.cs!peter

gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) (11/07/90)

For my money you can't do better than Word for Windows.  I've been using
it since it was released and feel it gets better and better the more you
know about it.

The primary advantage of WfW, in my mind, is buried in it's fundamental
design:  everything is a macro.  All editing functions are contained in
visible and modifiable macros.  And then macros have a hierarchy:  you could
change a macro on a document type (template) level and not effect documents
based on other templates.  You can change macros globally, effecting all
documents.  This same hierarchy (and flexibility) also applies to "user-
macros", which can completely change and customize the way the program works.

One way of looking at is this:  the program is transparent.  You can get into
and change the inner workings.  Very little is un-modifiable.

In addition to this great flexibility (due to the macro language), there is a
great power available in "fields".  They range from simple things like {date}
to display the current date and {include C:\\filename} to insert another
document (with two way hot link, by the way), to interesting cross reference
capabilities like {seq} to number the occurences of a bookmark and {ref }
which allows you to insert the text of the most recent instance of a paragraph style (nice in headers).

I would also note the implementation of outlining, annotations, and bookmarks
as good points for the program.

My nickel's worth.

mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) (11/07/90)

WRT WFW, I think it will meet my needs, but there is one thing that keeps
nagging me. At four different demo's, running on 4 different setups, this
is what WFW 1.1 did - Select a large font (eg, 18pt Roman). Now, type in
a sentence long enough so that it wraps to the next line. If you are
also displaying the ruler, you will see that the place where the break
occurs is way before the margin set in the ruler. For a WYSIWIG WP, that's
not too good. I know it would drive me nuts if the line kept breaking
way before the shown right margin, for I would just keep going to page
preview mode to find out where I really was.

Anyone know what causes this to happen? Do you know if ATM would fix it?

Thanks,

Milan
.

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Froot Loop) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov6.235413.18797@athena.mit.edu> mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) writes:
>is what WFW 1.1 did - Select a large font (eg, 18pt Roman). Now, type in
>a sentence long enough so that it wraps to the next line. If you are
>also displaying the ruler, you will see that the place where the break
>occurs is way before the margin set in the ruler. For a WYSIWIG WP, that's
(text deleted)
>Anyone know what causes this to happen? Do you know if ATM would fix it?

Well, I tried to reproduce this on my system (Win 3.0 in Enhanced mode,
WFW 1.1, 16MHz 386, Paradise Pro card in 800x600x16, using the VGA fonts
(96 dpi))

I used an 18-point font, with 1" margins, and right justification (normal,
not stretched out to the left margin also).  The text looks like it's
breaking in the right place to me (1 page document, converted to 18 point).
In other words, if WFW left one more word on the same line, it would be
past what it shows as the margin.

What display are you using?  (Which driver, fonts, resolution?)  It may
just be a quirk of your display driver.

|   Randy Spangler                   |   Get your mind out of the gutter   |
|   rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu   |   you're blocking my periscope      |

kpmiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Kent P Miller) (11/09/90)

In article <9564@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Froot Loop) writes:
>In article <1990Nov6.235413.18797@athena.mit.edu> mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) writes:
>>is what WFW 1.1 did - Select a large font (eg, 18pt Roman). Now, type in
>>a sentence long enough so that it wraps to the next line. If you are
>>also displaying the ruler, you will see that the place where the break
>>occurs is way before the margin set in the ruler. For a WYSIWIG WP, that's
>(text deleted)
>>Anyone know what causes this to happen? Do you know if ATM would fix it?
>
>Well, I tried to reproduce this on my system (Win 3.0 in Enhanced mode,
>WFW 1.1, 16MHz 386, Paradise Pro card in 800x600x16, using the VGA fonts
>(96 dpi))
>What display are you using?  (Which driver, fonts, resolution?)  It may
>just be a quirk of your display driver.

I don't think it's a driver etc. problem.  I have been having real
problems with my margins.  It may or may not be related to his problem,
thought.  In regular usage, I set my margins and it wraps the line about
an inch before it looks like it should.  I've taken to setting the
margin about an inch past where I really want it.  Does anyone
know the problem?  (It even does it in plain 10/12 point Tms Rmn)

--
-----------------------
Kent Miller

esp17020@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/10/90)

I'm not sure if this is related to the problem discussed in the previous
notes but here is what I discovered on my system and what I suspect is
causing it:  I recently purchased an HP Deskjet 500 and started using
WfW 1.0.  The fonts menu displays the standard WfW fonts as well as the
fonts that were installed when I set up the Deskjet (Courier in several
point sizes).  Now if I use the standard WfW fonts, the display accurately
reflects what will be printed.  But, if I use one of the Deskjet fonts,
the margins and sizing gets completely messed up.  The printed output turns
out fine, though.  I suspect that WfW (Windows) defaults to a particular
screen font which does not accurately reflect the actual Deskjet font.
I'm not positive on this, but it seems to match what is happening.  Can
anyone verify or shoot this down?  If this is the case, does anyone know
where I can get good screen fonts for the Deskjet 500?  Thanks for the
help.

Sean
esparham@uiuc.edu
esp17020@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

jpl5@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Jay P Lessler) (11/26/90)

In article <7445@uwm.edu> peter@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Peter J Diaz de Leon) writes:

>	I am in the process of getting rid of my old
>	word processor (Borland's Sprint) and purchasing
>	a new one.  I am looking at the following three:
>
>		1) Word Perfect
>		2) Ami Professonal
>		3) MS Word for Windows
>		4) ???

>University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee             USMAIL:  Peter J. Diaz de Leon
>Computer Science Department                              7411 W. Warnimont Ave
>                                                         Milwaukee, WI. 53220
>ARPA: peter@cvax.cs.uwm.edu                     Daytime: (414)229-3886
>UUCP: {wuarchive, rutgers, lll-winken} !uwm!miller.cs!peter

If you can wait until Spring, Word Perfect for windows is coming out then.

With any luck, it'll have both a windows environment and a text-only
environment for those of us who have WYSIWYG.

jpl5@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
--Jay Lessler

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov25.211633.11216@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> jpl5@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Jay P Lessler) writes:
>If you can wait until Spring, Word Perfect for windows is coming out then.

Last week Infoworld and PC world both mentioned the windows version of
WP. I don't remember ship dates, though. It looks somewhat like W4W,
and I believe it also ships with a file manager. I'm a diehard W4W
person myself. I also use Macs a lot, and the combination of MacWord
and W4W is pretty good. I still have problems with binary
compatibility and wish that the graphics would go across, but can work
around most problems.

As an aside, excel uses the same files for windows and the mac, and
transfer across is easy as pie...

kartik

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Network Manager, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov25.211633.11216@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> jpl5@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Jay P Lessler) writes:
>If you can wait until Spring, Word Perfect for windows is coming out then.

Last week Infoworld and PC world both mentioned the windows version of
WP. I don't remember ship dates, though. It looks somewhat like W4W,
and I believe it also ships with a file manager. I'm a diehard W4W
person myself. I also use Macs a lot, and the combination of MacWord
and W4W is pretty good. I still have problems with binary
compatibility and wish that the graphics would go across, but can work
around most problems. In binary mode, when w4w writes MacWord files,
it can't deal with dynamic links (at least to Excel, which I also
use.) So the info for the dynamic link is not passed across. RTF on
the other hand does carry across the dynamic link info (as a static
link, of course), but not the graphic info.

As an aside, excel uses the same files for windows and the mac, and
transfer between Macs and Windows is easy as pie...

kartik

--

Hubert Lai <LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov25.211633.11216@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>,
jpl5@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Jay P Lessler) says:
>If you can wait until Spring, Word Perfect for windows is coming out then.
>
>With any luck, it'll have both a windows environment and a text-only
>environment for those of us who have WYSIWYG.

Ami Professional and Word for Windows are both available now.  Unless you
are a die-hard WordPerfect fan, I can't think of any compelling reasons to
wait for it.  Microsoft Word is available for the Macintosh, Windows, and
character-based DOS environments with substantially similar user interfaces.

Current versions on these three platforms are 4.0, 1.1, and 5.5.  Microsoft
Word for Presentation Manager will also share the same unser interface and
is scheduled to ship in a few weeks.

If you are willing to live with a different user interface, you also have
Microsoft Word for OS/2 and Word for Unix.  Both of these are character
based and are practically identical to Microsoft Word 5.0 for DOS.

<=- Hubert

freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov25.211633.11216@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, jpl5@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Jay P Lessler) writes:

> If you can wait until Spring, Word Perfect for windows is coming out then.
>
> With any luck, it'll have both a windows environment and a text-only
> environment for those of us who have WYSIWYG.
>
> jpl5@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
> --Jay Lessler

Also. look for WordStar for Windows around the same time.

Yes, Virgina, there are still WordStar users out here. When you have
been using a program for over 12 years, and it WORKS, you don't change.

C. E. Malloy, III
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL
att!ihlpf!cem