[comp.windows.ms] problem using 800x600 with Trindent VGA

kho@eecs.wsu.edu (ho ka-ian wilson - CS495) (11/26/90)

Hello:

  I have a question on using 800x600 display driver. I am using a Excel vga+
card and MagicSync mointer. Lately, I obtain a display driver for my vga
card from cica. The driver name is trident VGA (TVGA). I installed it and it
works fine.

   The only problem is that the display area on my mointer shink vertically.
That is, instead of about 1/2 inch form the edge of the mointer, I have two
inch from each side. This make everything show on the screen very skinny and
tall. My mointer does not have a horizontal size dial for adjusting the
horizontal width.

   Is there anything that I can do to fix this problem? May be adjusting
something on the Excel vga+ card? Does anyone using the Excell vga+ card
with the TVGA driver have the same problem? Any help will be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

kho@eecs.wsu.edu

a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) (11/27/90)

I had a similiar problem with my card, but my monitor has a horiz width
adjuster.  Sorry 8-(
Rob

a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) (11/27/90)

I have experienced the same problems, particularly the 256 color one.
That is most annoying as I can't use the board for what I bought it.
1024x768 seemed fine for me, except it is soooo slow it is not usuable.
Time for an ATI Wonder+...
Rob

eric@eecg.toronto.edu (Eric Smith) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov26.091741.24325@eecs.wsu.edu> kho@eecs.wsu.edu (ho ka-ian wilson      - CS495) writes:

>  I have a question on using 800x600 display driver. I am using a Excel vga+
>card and MagicSync mointer.
>   The only problem is that the display area on my mointer shink vertically.
>That is, instead of about 1/2 inch form the edge of the mointer, I have two
>inch from each side. This make everything show on the screen very skinny and
>tall. My mointer does not have a horizontal size dial for adjusting the
>horizontal width.
>
>   Is there anything that I can do to fix this problem? May be adjusting
>something on the Excel vga+ card? Does anyone using the Excell vga+ card
>with the TVGA driver have the same problem? Any help will be appreciated.
>
>kho@eecs.wsu.edu

I have the same hardware combination as you (MagicSync monitor
and Trident 8800-based VGA), and the same problems.  The 800x600
mode is severely compressed horizontally, and I have also found that
640x480x256 mode under Win3 produces a scrambled picture (Edwin
Ng, edwin@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz, reported the same problem), and the
1024x768 mode flickers too much for prolonged use.  I have tried
the drivers from cica as well as downloading directly from the
Trident BBS, but to no avail.

Has any Trident owner been able to solve these problems?

Eric Smith

Electrical Engineering Computer Group	(416) 236-0908
University of Toronto			eric@eecg.toronto.edu
	   				CompuServe:  72371,3015
"Eesti vabaks"				GEnie:  E.SMITH29

keirje@triton.unm.edu (Puppet) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov26.222456.24565@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> eric@eecg.toronto.edu (Eric Smith) writes:
>In article <1990Nov26.091741.24325@eecs.wsu.edu> kho@eecs.wsu.edu (ho ka-ian wilson      - CS495) writes:
>>
>>  I have a question on using 800x600 display driver. I am using a Excel vga+
>>card and MagicSync mointer.
>>   The only problem is that the display area on my mointer shink vertically.
>>That is, instead of about 1/2 inch form the edge of the mointer, I have two
>>inch from each side. This make everything show on the screen very skinny and
>>tall. My mointer does not have a horizontal size dial for adjusting the
>>horizontal width.
>>
>>   Is there anything that I can do to fix this problem? May be adjusting
>>something on the Excel vga+ card? Does anyone using the Excell vga+ card
>>with the TVGA driver have the same problem? Any help will be appreciated.
>>
>>kho@eecs.wsu.edu
>
>I have the same hardware combination as you (MagicSync monitor
>and Trident 8800-based VGA), and the same problems.  The 800x600
>mode is severely compressed horizontally, and I have also found that
>640x480x256 mode under Win3 produces a scrambled picture (Edwin
>Ng, edwin@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz, reported the same problem), and the
>1024x768 mode flickers too much for prolonged use.  I have tried
>the drivers from cica as well as downloading directly from the
>Trident BBS, but to no avail.
>
>Has any Trident owner been able to solve these problems?
>
>Eric Smith
>
>Electrical Engineering Computer Group	(416) 236-0908
>University of Toronto			eric@eecg.toronto.edu
>	   				CompuServe:  72371,3015
>"Eesti vabaks"				GEnie:  E.SMITH29

    I have a Trident 256k and an NEC/MultiSync 2A.  I have found that the
 800x600x16 mode flickers too much for prolonged use.  Is this due to the
 monitor or lack of memory on the card?  I used the tvga drivers from cica.

                     - Kay

ernst_witter@eva.slu.se (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov26.222456.24565@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, eric@eecg.toronto.edu (Eric Smith) writes:

> I have the same hardware combination as you (MagicSync monitor
> and Trident 8800-based VGA), and the same problems.  The 800x600
> mode is severely compressed horizontally, and I have also found that
> 640x480x256 mode under Win3 produces a scrambled picture (Edwin
> Ng, edwin@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz, reported the same problem), and the
> 1024x768 mode flickers too much for prolonged use.  I have tried
> the drivers from cica as well as downloading directly from the
> Trident BBS, but to no avail.
>
> Has any Trident owner been able to solve these problems?

No, I haven't been able to solve the problem, but have experienced
much the same problem as described above. I first ascribed it to perhaps
be due to my monitor (the flickering that is), but I don't have the same
problem when I use the 800x600 or 1024x768 drivers for WP5.1. Compression
of the screen does however occur at these resolutions, but I think that
that is definitly an inevitable feature of most monitors.

Ernst Witter

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (11/29/90)

In article <3958@mindlink.UUCP> a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) writes:
>I have experienced the same problems, particularly the 256 color one.
>That is most annoying as I can't use the board for what I bought it.
>1024x768 seemed fine for me, except it is soooo slow it is not usuable.
>Time for an ATI Wonder+...
>Rob

Does this mean that there is an 800x600x256 color driver for the TVGA out
there?  I saw a reference to it (commented out) in the .INI file for the
drivers I have, but couldn't find the appropriate .drv file.  Where can I
find this beast?
Actually, I haven't found the speed of the card slower than expected,
although the only monitor I have access to that can do 1024x768 interlaced
without causing a headache is a good ol' IBM 8514/a monitor...

Aaron Wallace