[comp.windows.ms] Humongous Monitors for Windows 3.0 - SUMMARY

mathew@mantis.UUCP (mathew) (11/28/90)

A week or so ago I posted a query about large-screen high-resolution monitors
for IBM PCs running Windows 3.0. The following is a summary of the
information I received.

Microfield Graphics in Portland, Oregon, make cards which use a bit-slice
graphics processor to offload the processor's work. A Windows 3.0 driver does
exist. The whole system (card, and NEC 5D) would probably run to about $5000
to $6000.

The Hercules workstation card will do 1024x768 and may do higher but the
drivers currently available are buggy beta releases.  They are definitely
working on them, however, and have sent out updates in the last few weeks. It
will also do 24 bit colour in some modes.

Cornerstone has a quite nice 1600x1280 monochrome display adapter/monitor.
Windows 3 drivers are thought to exist.

Sigma Designs makes a monitor called L-View which handles 1600x1280 in
monochrome. They have Windows 3.0 and Windows 2.1 drivers, as well as drivers
for Ventura 2.0.

PC Computing magazine has a section in their December 1990 issue dealing with
large monitors. The biggest one listed seems to be Viking Large Screen
Monitors, which apparently existed before windows, but they are just now
releasing Windows 3.0 drivers. They go up to 2048x960. [ Perhaps a typo?
Should that be 1960? Otherwise it'd have a pretty funny aspect ratio... m.]

Thanks to the following people, from whom I received replies:

JT Anderson <jta@prodnet.la.locus.com>
labodt@swift.cs.tcd.ie
leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com
Paul Pantera <ppantera@polyslo.uucp>
Jim Fister <jimf@idayton.uucp>
Gary Hill <gjh@ecs.soton.ac.uk>

mathew.

--
Mantis Consultants, Unit 56, St. John's Innovation Centre, Cambridge. CB4 4WS.
   "CP/M is to metric as cockroaches are to a Timex watch" - booter@catnip

todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (11/29/90)

In article <ogNcT7w163w@mantis.UUCP> mathew@mantis.UUCP (mathew) writes:
>Cornerstone has a quite nice 1600x1280 monochrome display adapter/monitor.
>Windows 3 drivers are thought to exist.

I helped someone setup a Cornerstone DualPage (16 level gray, 1600x1280)
display. You can get a beta-release Windows 3.0 driver for it from the
Cornerstone BBS (can't recall the phone number). Works pretty good except
Windows can't rescale icon and menu sizes, so things look real real small
on the screen even after I switched to a larger display default font size
(part of the install procedure)...todd
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhunix!todd