[comp.windows.ms] Lost characters in com sessions

williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) (11/29/90)

I am addicted to using PRo-Yam.  Under windows 2.x it ran fine in the
background doing file transfers.  Now when I run it under 3.0
in enhanced mode, it drops characters during transfers if I do
anything else.  I assume this stems from windows virtualizing the
async port.  The question is, how would you go about fixing it?

And another thing -- when windows scrolls a dos session, why does it
redraw the whole window from the top, rather than bitblt the top+1 to
bottom lines up to the top and then write the bottom line?  Or is that
what it does?

--
             Kent Williams --- williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
"'Is this heaven?' --- 'No, this is Iowa'" - from the movie "Field of Dreams"

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (11/29/90)

In article <3335@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) writes:
>And another thing -- when windows scrolls a dos session, why does it
>redraw the whole window from the top, rather than bitblt the top+1 to
>bottom lines up to the top and then write the bottom line?  Or is that
>what it does?

Windows doesn't scroll the DOS session, the BIOS does, and it does it
by basically "bitblt"ing a chunk of text mode video memory. (Well, it
does a REP MOV, the bytewise equivalent). Windows takes snapshots of
the text mode video memory, converts them to graphics, and displays
them. It does this a certain number of times per second. If it does
this while BIOS is in the middle of a scroll operation you get the
effect of doubled lines (which you can get in straight DOS by hitting
Pause at the right moment during a scroll).

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu                                     Silence = Death