[comp.windows.ms] Adobe Type Manager - Winword and Designer

pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (11/15/90)

I have this installed and like it much better than bitstream stuff.

BUT, the docs say ... 'to test your fonts select a font size 72 and
   see the nice screen display.'

DESIGNER:  something is wrong here.  I selected a large font, no
  problem.  Then I selected the test and changed it to bold.  The
  bounding selection box changes wrt text size.  When I turn bold
  off, the selection box does not change  ?????  Also, the bold
  seems to move down on the screen ????? man

WINWORD:  The biggest point size I can enter is 127.  I thought that
  I should be able to have characters the size of the page???
  For 127, I have to enter it manually, the scroll box stops at 48.

I have RTMs...Am I doing something wrong?

/*----------- Thanks in advance... --------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies      INET: pcb@swamp.cacs.usl.edu |
| 2 Rex Street                                                           |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana      ...!uunet!dalsqnt!gator!pcb  |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

jmerrill@fenris.claremont.edu (Confusion Reigns) (11/16/90)

In article <18669@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:

   WINWORD:  The biggest point size I can enter is 127.  I thought that
     I should be able to have characters the size of the page???
     For 127, I have to enter it manually, the scroll box stops at 48.

127-point is the largest WFW can handle.  It's also the largest Write
can handle...I think it's the largest Windows can handle.  If you want
larger type, use a DOS word processor.  :)

--
Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (11/17/90)

In article <JMERRILL.90Nov16020751@fenris.claremont.edu> jmerrill@fenris.claremont.edu (Confusion Reigns) writes:
>In article <18669@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>
>   WINWORD:  The biggest point size I can enter is 127.  I thought that
>     I should be able to have characters the size of the page???
>     For 127, I have to enter it manually, the scroll box stops at 48.
>
>127-point is the largest WFW can handle.  It's also the largest Write
>can handle...I think it's the largest Windows can handle.  If you want
>larger type, use a DOS word processor.  :)

Legacy, for one, allows fonts up to 720 (or thereabouts) points.  So it
doesn't seem to be a Windows-ism.  Winword, though, is stuck at 127 point.

Aaron Wallace

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (11/17/90)

In article <18669@rouge.usl.edu>, pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
> WINWORD:  The biggest point size I can enter is 127.  I thought that
>   I should be able to have characters the size of the page???
>   For 127, I have to enter it manually, the scroll box stops at 48.
>
> I have RTMs...Am I doing something wrong?
>
> | Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |

It sounds like WfW is Word's child, alright!  When I first started
fiddling with Windows configuration files for PostScript printers,
many years ago, I discovered that point sizes larger than 127
were sort of random...actually, point size mod 128.  The program
used to configure the font sizes available on the screen in DOS
Word weren't smart enough to recognize that the larger sizes couldn't
be shoved through the Word machinery out to the PostScript code
generator.

I think you are stuck, unless you can figure out how to output
raw PostScript embedded in your WfW document.  (I know you can
do it in Mac Word, so it's possible the same option exists in
WfW).
--
Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
"Meat is murder!"  "Dairy is rape!" -- Animal Liberation Front

preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) (11/29/90)

In article <4884@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:

>I think you are stuck, unless you can figure out how to output
>raw PostScript embedded in your WfW document.  (I know you can
>do it in Mac Word, so it's possible the same option exists in
>WfW).

No problem, raw postscript (or anything else to be sent directly to
the printer) can be put in a "print" field.  The WfW "Technical Reference"
has specific information on using the "print" field for Postscript.
-david

        preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov
	B4 f+ t- k+ s-/+ r P8/3 S6 b+/- g- l-/+ y- z/! n o+/++ x a+ u v-- j++
        D. R. Preston  584 Castro St. #614 SF CA 94114 USA