[comp.windows.ms] Survey - How much would you pay?

altman@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (11/20/90)

Just wondering.
How much would you pay for a new Windows Comm Driver
that supported 16550 UARTS?

- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov19.191932.18032@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>Just wondering.
>How much would you pay for a new Windows Comm Driver
>that supported 16550 UARTS?

I personally wouldn't pay anything because I have the DDK and have been
modifying the drivers myself. If I get something that is reasonably clean,
I plan on uploading it for free. How much is everyone else willing to pay?

Gary Mussar  |Bitnet:  mussar@bnr.ca                  |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars53!mussar |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626

thaler@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov19.191932.18032@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>Just wondering.
>How much would you pay for a new Windows Comm Driver
>that supported 16550 UARTS?
>
>- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

When I was at Comdex, I walked to the National Semiconductor booth, the
US. Robotics booth and the MicroSoft booth and talked to all of them
about the problem with the NS16550a chip in WINDOWS 3.0. All seemed
interested in fixing the problem. I made an attempt at getting them to
talk to each other.  The fellow from MicroSoft said they had slowed
down  the serial port on purpose because even on a 16mhz 386 they
were losing charactors at 9600 baud. I suggested that they could but a
radio button to select for 16550 chip and he seemed to think that was a
good solution. At any rate, right now, I would LOVE to have a driver for
this chip on my COM2...
It seems to me that since a minimum platform for anyone really serious
about using Win3 is a fast 386, and those kind of users might be into
high speed modems as well, that supporting this chip would  be in
MicroSofts interest. Sell your driver to them!

--
Maurice Thaler   SYSOP  Audio Projects BBS (608) 836-9473
                 SYSOP  Power Board    BBS (608) 222-8842