[comp.windows.ms] Non-windows applications under MS windows 3.0

estdrdm@warwick.ac.uk (Rohit Khanna) (11/26/90)

I am not sure whether this is the right place to post this
article. Sorry if it is not.

I am running MS Windows 3.0 on a 80386 machine running at 20Mhz
with 2 Megs RAM and a 100 Meg hard disk. The system is running
under MS-DOS 4.01. The problem is as follows.

When I try to run non windows applications under windows the
applications are loaded alright but on exiting the application the
system just hangs up.

Could somebody out there let me know how to get round this.

Thanks in advance.

jkb@ms.uky.edu (Keith Burton) (11/30/90)

estdrdm@warwick.ac.uk (Rohit Khanna) writes:

>I am running MS Windows 3.0 on a 80386 machine running at 20Mhz
>with 2 Megs RAM and a 100 Meg hard disk. The system is running
>under MS-DOS 4.01. The problem is as follows.

>When I try to run non windows applications under windows the
>applications are loaded alright but on exiting the application the
>system just hangs up.

>Could somebody out there let me know how to get round this.

>Thanks in advance.

One of the Windows systems I've set up seems to have a similar problem.  So
far, I've been unable to find the exact cause but will notify you when I do.

To see if we have the same problem, try this:
    1)  If you bring WIN3 up in Standard mode, no problems, right?
    2)  Try setting your DOS applications to run windowed, rather than
           full-screen, using the PIF editor.  Did the problem just go away?
           If so, now try switching one of the windowed DOS apps to full-screen
           with Alt-Return.  Did you lock up?

If the answer to all of those is YES, then we are having the same problem.
I'll be glad to keep you posted on what I find, if you'll lend me a hand.

Please e-mail me your full configuration.  ALL hardware installed, with
brand name and model numbers (and board/ROM revisions, if you don't mind
opening the box).  Also send a copy of your CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT, WIN.INI,
and SYSTEM.INI.  Oh, yes.  I specifically need the make/model of your mother-
board, and the make/revision of your BIOS.  It wouldn't just happen to be an
AMI BIOS dated 4/89, would it (don't have the revision number handy right now)?

I'm working with Microsoft, the company that put the system together, and a
couple of the board manufacturers on this problem already, and do imagine
we'll find the solution eventually.

If you solve it first, PLEASE let me know!  Even if your problem isn't exactly
the same as mine.

Good Luck!
Keith Burton