[comp.windows.ms] Mace Utilities and swapfile

acs17111@uop.EDU (Mohd H. Misnan 'mid') (11/15/90)

I have a problem with Mace and Windows 3.0. I have made a swapfile in my
hardrive so that Windows will take full advantage of it. But I encounter
that when I want to unfragment my hard drive using Mace utilities, I
will stuck at the swapfile area (Mace say that that area are locked) and
it wont continue. My question is, should there any problem to unfragment
my hard drive if I used permanent swapfile? And is there any programs
that will not give a same problem as Mace does, any PD or commercial
s/w?
Thanks in advance...

Hamid

|  __            Mohd. H. Misnan         | University Of The Pacific   |
| |  \ Internet: hmisnan@madvax.uop.edu  | Stockton, California        |
|  \  \          acs17111@uop.uop.edu    |-----------------------------|
|   |* \     ____________________________| Let there be from among you |
|    \__>   | a community who calls to what is benifical, commands the |
|	    | maa'ruf and forbids the munkar. They are the successful  |
|           |                                       (Al-Imran, 3:103)  |
|___________|__________________________________________________________|

rb9a@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Raul Baragiola) (11/15/90)

In article <658639755.5443@zeus.uop.edu> acs17111@uop.EDU (Mohd H. Misnan 'mid') writes:
>I have a problem with Mace and Windows 3.0. I have made a swapfile in my
>hardrive so that Windows will take full advantage of it. But I encounter
>that when I want to unfragment my hard drive using Mace utilities, I
>will stuck at the swapfile area (Mace say that that area are locked) and
>it wont continue. My question is, should there any problem to unfragment
>my hard drive if I used permanent swapfile? And is there any programs
>that will not give a same problem as Mace does, any PD or commercial
>s/w?

You can delete your file swap, unfragment, and then recreate the
swapfile.  Or you can use "Speed Disk" in the Norton Utilities.

Raul A. Baragiola                               \Internet: raul@virginia.edu
Dept. Nuclear Engnr. and Engnr. Physics          \Phone: (804)-982-2907
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22901 \ Fax: (804)-924-6270

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/16/90)

In article <658639755.5443@zeus.uop.edu> acs17111@uop.EDU (Mohd H. Misnan 'mid') writes:
>I have a problem with Mace and Windows 3.0. I have made a swapfile in my
>hardrive so that Windows will take full advantage of it. But I encounter
>that when I want to unfragment my hard drive using Mace utilities, I
>will stuck at the swapfile area (Mace say that that area are locked) and
>it wont continue. My question is, should there any problem to unfragment
>my hard drive if I used permanent swapfile? And is there any programs
>that will not give a same problem as Mace does, any PD or commercial
>s/w?
>Thanks in advance...
>
>Hamid

Both Nortond Speed Disk, and Softlogic Solutions OPTIMIZE work fine. They show
the file as being unmoveable, and just work around it.

It worse comes to worse, you could delete the swap file, unfragment the disk,
then make a new swapfile.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (12/01/90)

In article <658639755.5443@zeus.uop.edu> acs17111@uop.EDU (Mohd H. Misnan 'mid') writes:
>I have a problem with Mace and Windows 3.0. I have made a swapfile in my
      [stuff deleted]
>my hard drive if I used permanent swapfile? And is there any programs
>that will not give a same problem as Mace does, any PD or commercial
>s/w?

Hamid,

I use a number of various different disk optimizers. The one that gives me
absolutely no problems with Windows Swapfile is Norton Speed Disk (SD). You
can buy it by getting Norton Utilities (I recommend Norton Advanced Utilities).
I used to use Compress from Central Point Software (PC Tools), it is faster
than SD, but I had some bad expriences with it recently, so switched to SD
entirely. It is slower (if you do full optimization), but is very thorough,
and it can be run automatically from a batch file.  I have also Mace, and
I would heartily recommend that you take a look at Norton Adv. Utilities.
They are simply a better product for a serious user.
SD will totally ignore (as it should) swapfile, and finish as if it never
existed.
How do you have your swapfile installed? In what area on the drive? (forgot
to ask). Have you installed any software after installing swapfile on that
logical drive?  (Not a good idea).  If so, you might remove your swapfile,
optimize drive and then install it again (do you keep your data on a separate
partition?  -yes, yes-).
\
Tony
tporczyk@novell.com