[comp.windows.ms] W4W equation editor?

peter@miller.cs.uwm.edu (Peter J. Diaz de Leon) (11/15/90)

I was wondering if W4W has an equation editor similar to  Word Perfects?
I have looked at several books for W4W in a bookstore but didn't see
mention of an equation editor.

  				Thanks
				Peter

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee             USMAIL:  Peter J. Diaz de Leon
Computer Science Department                              7411 W. Warnimont Ave
                                                         Milwaukee, WI. 53220
ARPA: peter@cvax.cs.uwm.edu                     Daytime: (414)229-3886
UUCP: {wuarchive, rutgers, lll-winken} !uwm!miller.cs!peter

preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) (11/29/90)

In article <7660@uwm.edu> peter@miller.cs.uwm.edu (Peter J. Diaz de Leon) writes:
>I was wondering if W4W has an equation editor similar to  Word Perfects?
>I have looked at several books for W4W in a bookstore but didn't see
>mention of an equation editor.

I don't know what the equation editor in Word Perfect is like, but WfW does
have an equation field that works very nicely.  You can split the window in
two and edit the equation in one window while seeing the equation in the
other.  You need the symbol font for mathematical characters, though you
can do quite a lot without it.
-david

        preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov
	B4 f+ t- k+ s-/+ r P8/3 S6 b+/- g- l-/+ y- z/! n o+/++ x a+ u v-- j++
        D. R. Preston  584 Castro St. #614 SF CA 94114 USA

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) (12/02/90)

In article <86940@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) writes:
>In article <7660@uwm.edu> peter@miller.cs.uwm.edu (Peter J. Diaz de Leon) writes:
>>I was wondering if W4W has an equation editor similar to  Word Perfects?
>>I have looked at several books for W4W in a bookstore but didn't see
>>mention of an equation editor.
>
>I don't know what the equation editor in Word Perfect is like, but WfW does
>have an equation field that works very nicely.  You can split the window in
>two and edit the equation in one window while seeing the equation in the
>other.  You need the symbol font for mathematical characters, though you
>can do quite a lot without it.

But not nearly as much as you can do with the WordPerfect equation editor.
You can't, for instance, put an arrow above a letter to signify a vector.
There are also a lot of random symbols that WordPerfect will simulate for
you.  The W4W equation editor doubles as a quick and easy way to bring your
computer to its knees; I'm running on a 20Mhz 386, and have never been
bothered by speed problems except when doing tables or equations in W4W, or
working with Corel.

--
Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu