[comp.windows.ms] WinQVT gripes

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) (11/30/90)

OK, I've tried WinQVT 4.51 out for a few hours, and have noticed a few
things that still bother me:

The keyboard is not quite mapped correctly.  Pressing Control-6 sends a 6
to the remote, while pressing Control-Shift-6 sends a caret ('^') followed
by Control-^.  Shouldn't both of these combinations send just ^^?
Similarly, pressing Control-Break sends a ^C followed by a BREAK signal.
This is a judgement call, but it seems to me that it should only send one.
I'm used to MS-Kermit, in which it sends the break signal.

Also, I would like to be able to redefine the keyboard in its various
states, not just unshifted; I sometimes map keyboard macros to alt-letter
combinations under Kermit, and it doesn't look like I can do that here.

The font looks nice, but 80x38 (tall window) seems like a strange size to
me.  Maximized, the window is 91x40 (this is on a VGA, using the shareware
font).  Does anyone have a registered copy of this version?  What are the
window sizes like with the VGA font?  Is the small VGA font readable?  How
about using the SVGA font on a VGA display?

Finally, I can't make WinQVT my communications package until it improves
its multitasking of file transfers.  If I access my hard drive at all while
it is downloading, it loses characters and has to go back.  In contrast,
WinComm's file transfers seemed completely bullet-proof; this was actually
what impressed me most about the package.

Oh, well.  I guess it's back to Kermit and DSZ again...
--
Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Hans van Oostrom) (11/30/90)

 In article <JMERRILL.90Nov29131929@fenris.claremont.edu>, jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) writes...
>Finally, I can't make WinQVT my communications package until it improves
>its multitasking of file transfers.  If I access my hard drive at all while
>it is downloading, it loses characters and has to go back.  In contrast,
>WinComm's file transfers seemed completely bullet-proof; this was actually
>what impressed me most about the package.
>
>Oh, well.  I guess it's back to Kermit and DSZ again...
>--
>Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

I have been using winqvt 4.36 and (for a couple of days) 4.51 for
several months now, and I have downloaded several Mbytes with zmodem
and a 2400 baud modem without a single error.  And I do minimize
during the transfer and access my harddisk.

Hans van Oostrom
PO Box J-254, JHMHC                 hans@ufpine                (BITNET)
Gainesville, FL  32601, USA         hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu    (INTERNET)

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (11/30/90)

In article <JMERRILL.90Nov29131929@fenris.claremont.edu> jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) writes:
>OK, I've tried WinQVT 4.51 out for a few hours, and have noticed a few
>things that still bother me:

>Also, I would like to be able to redefine the keyboard in its various
>states, not just unshifted; I sometimes map keyboard macros to alt-letter
>combinations under Kermit, and it doesn't look like I can do that here.

Not likely any communication program under Windows is going to let you
map ALT-key combinations. You may have noticed that Alt has special
meaning under Windows...

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu                                     Silence = Death

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (11/30/90)

In article <27482@cs.yale.edu> spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>In article <JMERRILL.90Nov29131929@fenris.claremont.edu> jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) writes:
>>Also, I would like to be able to redefine the keyboard in its various
>>states, not just unshifted; I sometimes map keyboard macros to alt-letter
>>combinations under Kermit, and it doesn't look like I can do that here.

>Not likely any communication program under Windows is going to let you
>map ALT-key combinations. You may have noticed that Alt has special
>meaning under Windows...

I think you were taking the spirit of the gripe too literally.  The first thing
he asked for was definition of shift/Ctrl/Alt versions of the keys, and then
he mentioned the fact that Kermit uses Alt key redefinitions.

If anyone has an answer, I too would like to know.  Thanks

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (12/01/90)

In article <JMERRILL.90Nov29131929@fenris.claremont.edu> jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) writes:
>OK, I've tried WinQVT 4.51 out for a few hours, and have noticed a few
>things that still bother me:
>
>The keyboard is not quite mapped correctly.  Pressing Control-6 sends a 6
>to the remote, while pressing Control-Shift-6 sends a caret ('^') followed
>by Control-^.  Shouldn't both of these combinations send just ^^?
>Similarly, pressing Control-Break sends a ^C followed by a BREAK signal.
>This is a judgement call, but it seems to me that it should only send one.
>I'm used to MS-Kermit, in which it sends the break signal.
>
>Also, I would like to be able to redefine the keyboard in its various
>states, not just unshifted; I sometimes map keyboard macros to alt-letter
>combinations under Kermit, and it doesn't look like I can do that here.
>
>The font looks nice, but 80x38 (tall window) seems like a strange size to
>me.  Maximized, the window is 91x40 (this is on a VGA, using the shareware
>font).  Does anyone have a registered copy of this version?  What are the
>window sizes like with the VGA font?  Is the small VGA font readable?  How
>about using the SVGA font on a VGA display?
>
>Finally, I can't make WinQVT my communications package until it improves
>its multitasking of file transfers.  If I access my hard drive at all while
>it is downloading, it loses characters and has to go back.  In contrast,
>WinComm's file transfers seemed completely bullet-proof; this was actually
>what impressed me most about the package.

Yes, there are still a few problems. For me if the port number in the
default.vt file was not correct, it would bomb out with an unrevoverable
application error.

I haven't tried background file transfers, will try that soon.

I wouldn't know about wincomm, it failed to work properly with my Telebit
T1000 and no configuration I could come up with would work. I have abandoned
wincomm as too much trouble.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Generic User) (12/02/90)

In article <25657@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Hans van Oostrom) writes:
>I have been using winqvt 4.36 and (for a couple of days) 4.51 for
>several months now, and I have downloaded several Mbytes with zmodem
>and a 2400 baud modem without a single error.  And I do minimize
>during the transfer and access my harddisk.

Well...I'm running at 19200 baud (actually about 14000 effective), so
that's probably the problem.  But it is a problem.

--
Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu