[comp.windows.ms] Soft fonts for 3.0

a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) (11/27/90)

Wouldn't something like ATM solve your needs?
Rob

a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) (11/28/90)

ATM supports any printer that you have a windows driver for.  You should
get a demonstration of it.  Really makes any printer shine...
Rob

rpinder@phad.hsc.usc.edu (Rich Pinder) (11/28/90)

I am looking for soft fonts that work with Windows 3.0. I had always
thought that soft fonts were 'downloaded' into the printers memory, then
were available during the life of that 'power-up' cycle.  But with windows
(and my HP Seriex II driver) the Symbol fonts exist in the directory
'pdl-fonts', and it appears that Windows just uses these fonts when
formatting the given page, then shoots a bit map to the printer (skipping
the downloading part all together).

I need to get the following fonts:

	Helvetica	8,10,12,14
	Courier		9
	TmsRoman	8,10,12,14

I appreciate any help in finding them.

		Rich Pinder
		USC School of Medicine
		(213) 224-7099

		rpinder@phad.hsc.usc.edu

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (11/28/90)

>I need to get the following fonts:
>
>	Helvetica	8,10,12,14
>	Courier		9
>	TmsRoman	8,10,12,14

Spend a few clams (like $65 US) and get Adobe Type Manager and you will
have a great selection of fonts in more sizes than you asked for. Also your
screen will look proper in applications, line breaks will match properly and
enlarged screen views (200% for example in PageMaker) will look proper
too.

Adobe Type Manager is one of the great bargoons for Windows in my opinion!
tj

ms33@prism.gatech.EDU (Mike Sullivan, a.k.a. Sully) (11/28/90)

In article <28452@usc> rpinder@phad.hsc.usc.edu (Rich Pinder) writes:
>I am looking for soft fonts that work with Windows 3.0. ...
>
>I need to get the following fonts:
>	Helvetica	8,10,12,14
>	Courier		9
>	TmsRoman	8,10,12,14

Rich, I have a psuedo-answer for you and a question to Net-land in
addition.  I too am looking for soft font Packages.  I have a HP
Laserjet II, and have narrowed the search down to MoreFonts or
SuperPrint.  (I am not sure if MoreFonts supplies courier thought :-(
).  This is what I know of the two packages:

    MoreFonts:
       (I am relating what I have read from promotional documentation)
       Supplies 17 typefaces,
          3 sets of 4 (normal, bold, italic, italic bold)
              Their version of Helvitica, TmsRoman, LetterGothic
          5 sets of 1 (normal only)
              Their version of Broadway, CooperBlack, Coronet,
              Univ.Roman, and Bodini Bold.
       Has Special effects
       Will create a soft font bitmap and store it, or create the
         soft font real-time and download it as needed.

    SuperPrint:
       (I am relating what I was told by a salesman)
       It comes with a reasonable set of soft fonts.
       It takes Bitstream fonts (which makes it VERY expandable)
       It does not create softfonts, instead it creates a bitmap of
          each page.
       It supposedly works FAST. (Seems contrary to downloading a bitmap :-)

Does anyone out there have any experience with either too packages?
Has anyone looked at both???  Looking at the documentation, I think
that MoreFonts is what I want.  Listening to the Salesperson, Superprint
is what I want.

If there is interest, I will post a summary of mail, post, and what I find
out on my own.

Mike Sullivan

One of many Michael P. Sullivans, my views are expressly my own, and are not
endorsed by my boss, fellow workers, or any other Mike Sullivan. :-)
Internet: ms33@prism.gatech.edu     |      Ga.Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.150653.6984@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
>Spend a few clams (like $65 US) and get Adobe Type Manager and you will
>have a great selection of fonts in more sizes than you asked for.
>
>Adobe Type Manager is one of the great bargoons for Windows in my opinion!

Guys, I have an original HP Deskjet with 2-cartridges (Elite, TmsRmn ASCII)
 and would like access to stuff like the Symbol font. You know if the
 Adobe Type Manager supports the Deskjet or other Dot Matrix printers?

tim

gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu (Paul Gyugyi) (11/29/90)

I'm using an HP Deskjet printer (a Plus actually) and have had
good success with Bitstream's Facelift.  It's equal to ATM.  And
it will let you use your Deskjet Cartridge fonts as well.
The standard font pack doesn`t come with a symbol font.
Does ATM come with a symbol font?

--
Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu

MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.150653.6984@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
(Terry Jones) says:
>Spend a few clams (like $65 US) and get Adobe Type Manager and you will
>have a great selection of fonts in more sizes than you asked for. Also your
>screen will look proper in applications, line breaks will match properly and
>enlarged screen views (200% for example in PageMaker) will look proper
>too.
Could some kind soul supply us with exact sources for the above: address,
account, fax, phone or the like.
Thanks  - Thomas

robertt@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) (12/01/90)

For anyone using a DeskJet, DeskJet Plus, or DeskJet 500, HP now has
released its own scalable font solution.  It does approximately the same
thing as ATM, Facelift, or SuperPrint, but is cheap (free with a DJ 500,
something minimal (i'm not sure the exact amount) to cover shipping for
DJ & DJ+ users).  It has the same feature set - scalable fonts in both
portrait and landscape, DIB support, etc. - on all three printers.  The
only difference is performance - DJ500 > DJ+ > DJ.

forgive the bias - I worked on the driver.

Bob Taylor
HP Vancouver

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (12/01/90)

Sure, I bought ATM for Windows 3.0 from PC COnnection for $65US. They
definately had their act togehter. When I ordered it, it was not shipping yet
and they TOLD me so and asked if I still wanted to order it. They shipped
on the day they said they would and the time I did call to check status
they were able to locate the order and tell me all about it.

I'd buy from them again.
tj

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (12/01/90)

In article <920001@hp-vcd.HP.COM> robertt@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) writes:
>For anyone using a DeskJet, DeskJet Plus, or DeskJet 500, HP now has
>released its own scalable font solution.  It does approximately the same
>thing as ATM, Facelift, or SuperPrint, but is cheap (free with a DJ 500,
>something minimal (i'm not sure the exact amount) to cover shipping for
>DJ & DJ+ users).  It has the same feature set - scalable fonts in both
>portrait and landscape, DIB support, etc. - on all three printers.  The
>only difference is performance - DJ500 > DJ+ > DJ.
>
>forgive the bias - I worked on the driver.
>
>Bob Taylor
>HP Vancouver

Is someone working on a version the the HP LJ IIP?
Gary Mussar  |Bitnet:  mussar@bnr.ca                  |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars53!mussar |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626

Hubert Lai <LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (12/02/90)

In article <920001@hp-vcd.HP.COM>, robertt@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) says:

>For anyone using a DeskJet, DeskJet Plus, or DeskJet 500, HP now has
>released its own scalable font solution.  It does approximately the same
>thing as ATM, Facelift, or SuperPrint, but is cheap (free with a DJ 500,
>something minimal (i'm not sure the exact amount) to cover shipping for
>DJ & DJ+ users).  It has the same feature set - scalable fonts in both
>portrait and landscape, DIB support, etc. - on all three printers.  The
>only difference is performance - DJ500 > DJ+ > DJ.

Are these drivers a complete substitute for ATM?  Do these drivers also
provide matching scalable screen fonts for the scalable fonts on the DeskJet?

<=- Hubert

psycho@kiwi.ucsb.edu (Scot Kellan Forbes) (12/03/90)

In article <90333.110024MUHRTH@DB0TUI11.BITNET> MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) writes:
>In article <1990Nov28.150653.6984@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
>(Terry Jones) says:
>>Spend a few clams (like $65 US) and get Adobe Type Manager and you will
>>have a great selection of fonts in more sizes than you asked for. Also your
>>screen will look proper in applications, line breaks will match properly and
>>enlarged screen views (200% for example in PageMaker) will look proper
>>too.

I have literature for SuperPrint by Zenographics, and if it does
everything it claims, it may be quite an attractive option:

Basically, there are three programs in this package, SuperPrint for
on-the-fly scalable fonts to you printer (may only support laser
printers however, I don't have the broshure with me now to check),
SuperQueue, a drop-in replacement print manager for Windows that
claims more speed and better looking graphics (claims faster storage
of temporary "metafile" to return you to your application faster), and
finally SuperText, which lets you add and remove fonts and font
foundries, and also manages scalable screen fonts.  It supports
Bitstream, Adobe Type 1, Agfa Compugraphic, and Numbus Q outlines
(Nimbus Q are the 22 typefaces that are included with the package, and
I believe Courier is one of them), as well as HP soft fonts.  It
implies that you can mix and match fonts from all of these.  I can't
remember the other features offhand, and I haven't actually seen it in
action, but it sounds impressive enough.  Although it lists for twice
as much as both Facelift and ATM ($195 compared to $99), it would be
worth it if it does what it does as well as Facelift and ATM do, and
does it faster.  However, you can get Facelift or ATM for under $60
mail order, and I haven't seen SuperPrint available anywhere yet
except from Zenographics.

Has anyone actually seen this product in action?  The speed
comparisons it gave were impressive enough, but I'm not sure the
comparison products were equally matched for speed in all other
aspects (it compared itself on a LaserJet to a Postscript printer, for
one).

Hope this helps someone, I'm having trouble deciding myself.  Maybe
I'll just wait for Windows 3.1 and True Type :)

Scot Forbes

JDKINNE@MIAMIU.BITNET (John Kinne) (12/03/90)

In article <920001@hp-vcd.HP.COM>, robertt@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) says:

>For anyone using a DeskJet, DeskJet Plus, or DeskJet 500, HP now has
>released its own scalable font solution.  It does approximately the same
>thing as ATM, Facelift, or SuperPrint, but is cheap (free with a DJ 500,
>something minimal (i'm not sure the exact amount) to cover shipping for
>DJ & DJ+ users).  It has the same feature set - scalable fonts in both
>portrait and landscape, DIB support, etc. - on all three printers.  The
>only difference is performance - DJ500 > DJ+ > DJ.

This is good news for someone who has a deskjet & is looking to do more
with it!

I've had the deskjet for about a year.  I use it - mainly with Word for
Windows.  I've never been sure that I've gotten everything out of the
deskjet.  Is there a reference or a setup guide for window 3/deskjet users?

Why does W4W use the same screen font for Courier 5, 10, 16 ...
  Will the new scalable font fix this?
W4W does not believe in Courier italics,  But it will let me specify
  Roman italics - use an italic screen font to display them and print them
  as italics on my deskjet.  Why is this?
I'm also curious why W4W will only show me the first several font names
  when I try to change fonts.  There is a scroll bar, but pushing pagedown
  or selecting the down-arrow has no effect.

John Kinne
Miami University