[comp.windows.ms] WinQVT 4.45

cmdegg@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu (RADIATION RESEARCH) (09/30/90)

I have had many problems with the latest release of WINQVT also.  I am not
able to make it go to the 132 column mode in DEC font (it goes outside of the
size of my screen with a 640x480x256 pardise driver).  I registered the program
way back at 3.2 something and received fonts etc for my troubles, but now they
don't seem to work with the latest version... of course the vt220.fon that is
supplied with the program itself is not 3.0 compatible as the documentation
states, either.  Going to the small and large windows produces no difference
on my setup, either.  When I go to the small window, the terminal characteristics
do not allow me to change fonts from DEC/IBM/ANSI....
And for the life of me, other than writing to QPC software, which I consider
to be a pretty poor means of communication about computer software that deals
with communications issues, I can't figure out how to get in touch with the
QPC people about these problems..   Do any of the programmers there read USENET?

As for what do with wnqvt445.zip, I suggest dumping it off the archive and
puting wnqvt436.zip back, please!  I can't find my copy of the archive (to my
shame...)

Thank you for listening!
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-|

Gregg Cohen
University of Iowa
Department of Psychiatry
Mental Health Clinical Research Center
1-160A PH University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  52242

INTERNET	cohen@brodmann.iaf.uiowa.edu
BITNET		cmdgropg@uiamvs
ATTNET		(319)353-6358

Mental Health is more than a state of mind!
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-|

mr@ogre (Michael Regoli) (10/16/90)

][

Well, WinQVT 4.45 finally arrived here at cica.cica.indiana.edu
[129.79.20.22] and I've got some general questions regarding its use.

I'm running Windows using a 286/8 with 3Mb of RAM in standard mode.
I've got a 2400bps modem on COM3.

For the life of me I cannot initiate a "background" download session
with Zmodem.  After about fifteen seconds as an icon, the file
transfer is aborted, with "Zmodem Carrier Lost" appearing on the
screen.  Now for the clincher: The WinQVT icon cannot be
relaunched--double clicks on the icon produce nothing but beeps.
Nothing I can think of is getting in WinQVT's way--all I'm running is
Screen Peace and the WinClock utility.  I cannot kill the process from
the Task List either.

The Zmodem auto-download process also dies.  When I initiate the
process, the same thing happens:  15 seconds then "Zmodem Carrier
Lost."

Second, I cannot talk to my serial ports (com1 or com2) while using
the modem.  I doubt this is related to WinQVT (since Terminal also
misbehaves), but rather to Windows or a BIOS problem.  Shouldn't I be
able to print on my com1 while using com3?  I can get data out the
printer port (about 8K) before the Print Manager stalls.  (I can print
without trouble when I disconnect the modem and close the communi-
cations program.  Note that from DOS I can shell out of Kermit, for
instance, launch WordPerfect and print to com1, no problem.)

Lastly, how can I suppress the annoying message I get when I launch a
DOS shell with WinQVT running?  (The message is something like
"someone else is using the com port--you may loose characters-- do
you want continue?")

Thanks for the advice.

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu

dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) (10/17/90)

mr@ogre (Michael Regoli) writes:

> instance, launch WordPerfect and print to com1, no problem.)

There is an interupt conflict between COM1 and COM3.. they both use the same
interupt and Windows doesn't seem to be able to handle this. I tried
different solutions but none seemed to work. If you are not using your COM2,
try putting your modem on COM2...

I'd say the terminal area (not just the terminals, but communications
support in general) really needs work in Windows.

cohen@tessa (cohen) (12/05/90)

 have downloaded WinQVT from the cica.cica archives and have found it to
exhibit the save characteristics that 4.45 displayed.  That is, I can not
seem to get the display to show DEC fonts.  I have a 80386 25 Mhz with a
Paradise 1024i SVGA on a Panasync C1381 monitor running Win3.0 under PC-dos
3.3.  I can not get the display screen to go small, either in the selection
mode or in the 132 character mode.  I am running the SVGA in the 640x480x256
mode, so resolution should not be a problem.  I have also tried the vtvga.fon>
vt220.fon from my previous version of WinQVT and this did not seem to work
either.

By the way, when will QPC send out 4.5x to its customers that deserve the
promised ugrade?  Maybe the manual would help me (or the new font files that
support VGA?)

Thanks,
Gregg Cohen
Department of Psychiatry