[comp.windows.ms] Permanent Swap File

sitze@nmsu.edu (Richard Sitze) (07/25/90)

I recall some discussion about problems with windows 3.0 using a
permanent swap file on disks that are larger than 32MB.  Since then
I've actually got my system, and since I have just this type of setup,
I'm wondering if the problem is 'global', or is limited only to
certain hardware?  Can someone mail me the real/whole story on this?

thanks in advance.
                            +--------------------------
                            | Richard A. Sitze
                            | sitze@nmsu.edu
                              phone: (505) 646-6228

steve@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Steve Balogh) (08/21/90)

How does one force Windows 3.0 to keep its swap file permenent. Each time
windows exits, it deletes its swap file. It is about 3.5 megs in size.

I would like to create a permenent file which is contiguous on disk.

Thanks,

    Steve

----_--_-_-_--_-__-_------_-__---_-___-_----_-____-_-_--__-_--_--___-_-_-_--__-_
Steve Balogh (Network Manager) VK3YMY | steve@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au
Monash University (Caulfield Campus)  |      37 52'38.8"S  145 02'42.0"E ...ICBM
PO Box 197, Caulfield East	      |      +61 3 573 2266 Voice (Office)
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA. 3145	      |      +61 3 571 3646 Fax

erlendd@barsoom.nhh.no (Erlend Dyrnes) (08/22/90)

To set up a permanent swap file you have to do the following:

* start up Windows in real mode (WIN /r)
* stop any programs automatically started by your LOAD= and RUN= in
the win.ini file
* Choose Run from the program manager (if that's your shell ..) and
enter the command swapfile. Swapfile is an executable located in your
system subdirectory.

The rest is up to you and swapfile..

erlend

--
Erlend Dyrnes, NHH, Bergen, Norway
erlendd@barsoom.nhh.no

gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) (08/22/90)

To make a Swapfile permanent you must run Windows in Real Mode by involking
it so:  WIN /R.

In the \SYSTEM subdirectory there is s utility named SWAPFILE.EXE.  Run it
from the File.Run command in Program Manger (with nothing else on the
desktop).  Swapfile.exe will search each of your hard drives for contiguous
disk space (so it might be a good idea to unfragment before your run it).
It will suggest a size for the permanent swap file based on available space.
It will cycle through your hard drives if you have more than one.

The primary advantage of a permanenet swapfile is performance.  It is signni-
ficantly faster than a temp file.

tonyb@olivej.olivetti.com (Anthony M. Brich) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug21.080823.10815@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>, steve@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Steve Balogh) writes:
> How does one force Windows 3.0 to keep its swap file permenent. Each time
> windows exits, it deletes its swap file. It is about 3.5 megs in size.
>
> I would like to create a permenent file which is contiguous on disk.

Before you create the file, it is best to unfragment your disk.  Then,
run Windows in real mode (win /r).  Close any and all applications.
Use the File Run command to run SWAPFILE.

Windows displays a dialog box indicating how much space is available
on your C: drive, tells you how big the swapfile could be, and
suggests how large it should be.  You can also examine other drives,
if you want to create the swapfile on a drive other than C:.  Easiest
to accept all the defaults by clicking OK, then restart Windows.  (You
may have to reboot.  I can't remember.  Windows will tell you if you
do.)

Tony Brich

YTHRROUS@MTUS5.BITNET (Roger Rouse) (10/26/90)

My problem with creating a permanent swapfile is as follows:

   I have a 42Mb hard drive, divided into 2 partitions, a 2Mb C:
   and a 40Mb D: drive.  DOS is on C, everything else is on D.
   When I run swapfile (in real mode) it comes up and says that
   drive C doesn't have sufficient room (which is correct).  My
   only choice is on OK button.  When I click it, swapfile terminates,
   never givig me a chance to look at D.  I am running DOS 3.3
   and Seagate drive manager lets me use > 32Mb partitions.

HELP!!!!HELP!!!!HELP!!!!HELP!!!!HELP!!!!HELP!!!!HELP!!!!HELP!!!!HELP!!!!

sc05@GTE.COM (Shih-Chio Chang) (11/15/90)

I am having trouble making the permanent swap file to work.
My windows directory is on drive E:, and I created a permanent
swap file (in real mode, of course) on drive D: without any
problem.  However, Windows refuse to acknowledge the exsitence
of the permanent swap file in enhanced mode.  It always ends
up in using a temporary swap file.  Anybody has similar problems?
Or do I have to do something with system.ini?  I am using a Compaq
386/20 with a 300 megs ESDI disk.  Drive D: and E: are two partitions
of size 128 megs each.  Thanks for any help that I can get.

S.C. Chang
GTE Labs
schang@gte.com
(617)466-2988

doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) (11/16/90)

Sounds as though the real question is this:

Can Windows/3 use a swap file created on a drive other than
that which Win itself resides on?

(Sorry, but I don't know.  Sounds as though it can't.)

Doug in Australia.

YTHRROUS@MTUS5.BITNET (Roger Rouse) (11/17/90)

What version of DOS are you using?  I had a similar problem in trying to
create a permanent file of D:.  I was using DOS3.3 with a Seagate Drive
manager (which allowed > 32Mb partitions).  Windows didn't recognize the
large partition as being a DOS partition, and wouldn't let me make a
swapfile there.

Roger

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Froot Loop) (11/17/90)

In article <2770005@hparc0.HP.COM> doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) writes:
>Sounds as though the real question is this:
>Can Windows/3 use a swap file created on a drive other than
>that which Win itself resides on?
>(Sorry, but I don't know.  Sounds as though it can't.)

Well, on my 386/16, Windows is in D:\WIN3.
My swap file is on C: (3MB swap file)

It appears to work.

But then again, when it swaps it seems to take FOREVER (like 5-15 sec).
Meanwhile everything is locked up.  Anyone else have this problem?

I've got a 65MB RLL drive in 3 22MB partitions (using plain old MS-DOS 3.3 -
definately no DMDRIVER.BIN) and a DTC 7287 PC/AT 1:1 interleave controller

|   Randy Spangler                   |   Get your mind out of the gutter   |
|   rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu   |   you're blocking my periscope      |

rb9a@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Raul Baragiola) (11/17/90)

In article <2770005@hparc0.HP.COM> doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) writes:
>Sounds as though the real question is this:
>
>Can Windows/3 use a swap file created on a drive other than
>that which Win itself resides on?
>
>(Sorry, but I don't know.  Sounds as though it can't.)
>
>Doug in Australia.

I use win in drive C: and swapfile in drive D:. These are logical drives,
i.e. partitions in  one physical drive.

Raul A. Baragiola                               \Internet: raul@virginia.edu
Dept. Nuclear Engnr. and Engnr. Physics          \Phone: (804)-982-2907
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22901 \ Fax: (804)-924-6270

ace@cc.ic.ac.uk (Andriko del Saludo) (11/18/90)

In article <2770005@hparc0.HP.COM> doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) writes:
>Sounds as though the real question is this:
>
>Can Windows/3 use a swap file created on a drive other than
>that which Win itself resides on?
>
>(Sorry, but I don't know.  Sounds as though it can't.)
>
>Doug in Australia.

Sure it can. I run windows 3 set up on drive e of my 20Mhz sx with a
permanent swap file (5 Meg) on drive d. No problems whatsoever.

- Andreas C. Enotiadis (ace@cc.ic.ac.uk, ace@grathun1.earn, etc)    -
- (I'm still thinking about something clever to put here...)        -

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/20/90)

In article <2770005@hparc0.HP.COM> doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) writes:
>Sounds as though the real question is this:
>
>Can Windows/3 use a swap file created on a drive other than
>that which Win itself resides on?
>
>(Sorry, but I don't know.  Sounds as though it can't.)
>
>Doug in Australia.

ABSOLUTELY! I have windows installed on my drive D:, and my permanent swap file
is on my N: partition. (Ok, so I have a 300 Mb drive under DOS 3.3, so sue me
:-))

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

In article <90320.121007YTHRROUS@MTUS5.BITNET> YTHRROUS@MTUS5.BITNET (Roger Rouse) writes:
>What version of DOS are you using?  I had a similar problem in trying to
>create a permanent file of D:.  I was using DOS3.3 with a Seagate Drive
>manager (which allowed > 32Mb partitions).  Windows didn't recognize the
>large partition as being a DOS partition, and wouldn't let me make a
>swapfile there.
>
>Roger

Using a disk manager under windows 3.0 is dangerous, but using it and running
a permanaent swap file is asking for disaster!

ashing@polari.UUCP (Al Shing) (11/20/90)

In article <9661@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Froot Loop) writes:

>Well, on my 386/16, Windows is in D:\WIN3.
>My swap file is on C: (3MB swap file)
>
>It appears to work.
>
>But then again, when it swaps it seems to take FOREVER (like 5-15 sec).
>Meanwhile everything is locked up.  Anyone else have this problem?

I have this problem, too.  I suspect that if two I/O's are going on at the
same time, the controller gets confused, because the drive activity light
stays on solid, similar to when you get a "Drive Not Ready" message, which
still occurs occasionally.  However, the HD eventually frees up, and every-
thing takes off again.  Really bizarre.

>I've got a 65MB RLL drive in 3 22MB partitions (using plain old MS-DOS 3.3 -
>definately no DMDRIVER.BIN) and a DTC 7287 PC/AT 1:1 interleave controller

Ditto with me.  I have a Mitsubishi 65MB RLL drive, with a WD1006-SR1
controller.  Pretty straightfoward.  No DMDRIVER for me, either, and I use
SMARTDRV.SYS, which makes no difference.

I continue to have problems with my Plus Hardcard II XL 105 and Win 386-
enhanced mode, but Plus has duplicated the problem, and is working on it.
This problem also afflicts the XL 50, and occurs only in enhanced mode.  The
suggested circumvention is to run Windows in standard mode.

   Al Shing

sc05@harvey.gte.com (Shih-Chio Chang) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov19.230221.15917@sj.ate.slb.com>, poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
> In article <90320.121007YTHRROUS@MTUS5.BITNET> YTHRROUS@MTUS5.BITNET (Roger Rouse) writes:
> >What version of DOS are you using?  I had a similar problem in trying to
> >create a permanent file of D:.  I was using DOS3.3 with a Seagate Drive
> >manager (which allowed > 32Mb partitions).  Windows didn't recognize the
> >large partition as being a DOS partition, and wouldn't let me make a
> >swapfile there.
> >
> >Roger
>

> Using a disk manager under windows 3.0 is dangerous, but using it and running
> a permanaent swap file is asking for disaster!

I am using Compaq DOS 3.31, which supports "big foot" disk partitions out of
the box.  There is no disk manager involved.  (Personally, I think 3.31 is
the best compromise in the current DOS world -- supports larger than 32 MB
partition while smaller (it's own size) than 4.x.)

Someone has suggested that the larger than 32 MB partition could be the cause
of the trouble, yet windows did not complain when creating a swap file in
real mode, and continued to recognize it in real mode.  Someone else suspected
it has to do with the installation of SDK.  I do not know about that one.
I do not want to reinstall SDK, because that involves reinstallation of
WindowMaker -- too much trouble for something that many people are warning
againt (although that's the reason I like to find out myself).

S.C. Chang
GTE Labs
schang@gte.com

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (11/21/90)

>>Can Windows/3 use a swap file created on a drive other than
>>that which Win itself resides on?
>>
>>(Sorry, but I don't know.  Sounds as though it can't.)
>>
>>Doug in Australia.
>

>ABSOLUTELY! I have windows installed on my drive D:, and my permanent swap file
>is on my N: partition. (Ok, so I have a 300 Mb drive under DOS 3.3, so sue me
>:-))

It can be done. I have a 70 MB RLL as D: (3 floppies) it is one partition
and I have a 32 MB RLL as E: and my 12 meg swapfile is on E: 3.0 on D:.
I like my 12meg swap file and 4 meg RAM, I never run out of memory.

           Kent
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/22/90)

In article <10080@bunny.GTE.COM> sc05@harvey.gte.com (Shih-Chio Chang) writes:
>In article <1990Nov19.230221.15917@sj.ate.slb.com>, poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>> In article <90320.121007YTHRROUS@MTUS5.BITNET> YTHRROUS@MTUS5.BITNET (Roger Rouse) writes:
>> >What version of DOS are you using?  I had a similar problem in trying to
>> >create a permanent file of D:.  I was using DOS3.3 with a Seagate Drive
>> >manager (which allowed > 32Mb partitions).  Windows didn't recognize the
>> >large partition as being a DOS partition, and wouldn't let me make a
>> >swapfile there.
>> >
>> >Roger
>>

>> Using a disk manager under windows 3.0 is dangerous, but using it and running
>> a permanaent swap file is asking for disaster!
>>

>I am using Compaq DOS 3.31, which supports "big foot" disk partitions out of
>the box.  There is no disk manager involved.  (Personally, I think 3.31 is
>the best compromise in the current DOS world -- supports larger than 32 MB
>partition while smaller (it's own size) than 4.x.)
>
>Someone has suggested that the larger than 32 MB partition could be the cause
>of the trouble, yet windows did not complain when creating a swap file in
>real mode, and continued to recognize it in real mode.  Someone else suspected
>it has to do with the installation of SDK.  I do not know about that one.
>I do not want to reinstall SDK, because that involves reinstallation of
>WindowMaker -- too much trouble for something that many people are warning
>againt (although that's the reason I like to find out myself).

No, the problem is not with SDK, but because Windows (for speed) bypasses
certain DOS functions related to disk access and does the operations itself.

Resident disk manager programs are bypassed and this can lead to trouble.

rb9a@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Raul Baragiola) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov21.193746.11324@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
>Stuff deleted
>
>No, the problem is not with SDK, but because Windows (for speed) bypasses
>certain DOS functions related to disk access and does the operations itself.
>
>Resident disk manager programs are bypassed and this can lead to trouble.

Can anyone elaborate on this?  Does Windows treat marginal sectors in the
same way DOS does? Does it check for free space before writing to disk?

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (12/07/90)

In article <2770005@hparc0.HP.COM> doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) writes:
>Sounds as though the real question is this:
>
>Can Windows/3 use a swap file created on a drive other than
>that which Win itself resides on?
>
>(Sorry, but I don't know.  Sounds as though it can't.)
>
>Doug in Australia.

Yes, it can. It even explicitly asks you which drive you want it installed
on when it scans the available drives showing how big a swapfile it could
create there. The procedure is very straightforward.

Tony
tporczyk@novell.com

--Std.Disclaimer--
.