[comp.windows.ms] Problems after installing Windows

malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.145100.9295@vaxa.strath.ac.uk> cadp38@vaxa.strath.ac.uk writes:
>I recently installed Windows 3 on a 386-SX, with a Morse colour monitor,
>and (S)VGA card.

>Since I installed it, strangethings have happened, and I wondered if they are
>as a direct result of installing windows, and if anyone else has suffered
>from them.

On a similar note, does anyone know if there's a way to reset the
default size of the Solitaire game? I recently upgraded to an Orchid
ProDesigner II at 1024x768x256, where Windows had been installed for
a stock VGA (it was actually an ET3000 SVGA, but I didn't have the
800x600x16 drivers when I installed Windows), and the default window
size when Solitaire comes up chops off most of the rightmost card
stack -- to get all of the stacks completely visible, I have to widen
the window to almost the full screen width, which leaves large gaps
between the stacks.

Is this problem solvable by playing with the configuration, or do I
have to reinstall Solitaire from the original disks?

 Sean Malloy                                  |
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center | Keeping Freedom Safe
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                     |    From Democracy
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                        |

joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) (12/07/90)

In article <11167@arctic.nprdc.arpa>, malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy) writes:
> On a similar note, does anyone know if there's a way to reset the
> default size of the Solitaire game? I recently upgraded to an Orchid
> ProDesigner II at 1024x768x256, where Windows had been installed for
> a stock VGA (it was actually an ET3000 SVGA, but I didn't have the
> 800x600x16 drivers when I installed Windows), and the default window
> size when Solitaire comes up chops off most of the rightmost card
> stack -- to get all of the stacks completely visible, I have to widen
> the window to almost the full screen width, which leaves large gaps
> between the stacks.

I don't think that will help. I think a lot of windows applications set
their starting window size based on a VGA screen or some other parameter
I'm not aware of. In many cases the size is inappropiate for what you
are doing. For instance, terminal often comes up to small for a 80x24
display.

What I do is use CMDPOST. You can use the WINPLACE function to specify
the size and position of an application window. Once you got the
application window the way you it, CMDPOST has this program that will
tell you how the placement information for the window and save a
WINPLACE command to the clipboard. You can then edit the CMDUSER file
so that when you start the application up it's window is always in
the size and location you prefer. The CMDPOST interface doesn't look
as snazzy as the Program Manager, but it tends to give you a lot more
options.
--
Joel Upchurch/Upchurch Computer Consulting/718 Galsworthy/Orlando, FL 32809
joel@peora.ccur.com {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd,ucf-cs}!peora!joel (407) 859-0982