[comp.windows.ms] Possible virus alert

wigan@civeng.monash.edu.au (David Neiger) (12/06/90)

This is a warning to people.

There *could* be a possible virus in TAME (the mutlitasking aid suitable for
Windows, Desqview and other packages.

I have tested the files and hard disks with SCAN V67C but could not find
anything, yet after my friends and I used the package, we noticed
*   Windows comes up with a divide by zero error on boot-up
*   Reinstalling Windows does not help
*   DOS software (at this stage) is unaffected
*   Removing Tame and any traces of it does not help
*   SCAN, VET and other virus detectors cannot find anything

I am **not** saying that there is a virus because I do not have enough facts.  I
could not find anything but it is strange that both my friends' 286s went down,
yet other friends' 286s (who use the same shareware *except* tame) are healthy.

Please could other people investigate and confirm or deny the existance of the
virus.

Thanks
David
--
David S. Neiger                 |  cie221u@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Research Assistant              |  phone:  +61 3 842 7994 (A/H)

eaugustu@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Eric P. Augustus) (12/07/90)

wigan@civeng.monash.edu.au (David Neiger) writes:

>This is a warning to people.

>There *could* be a possible virus in TAME (the mutlitasking aid suitable for
>Windows, Desqview and other packages.

>I have tested the files and hard disks with SCAN V67C but could not find
>anything, yet after my friends and I used the package, we noticed
>*   Windows comes up with a divide by zero error on boot-up
>*   Reinstalling Windows does not help
>*   DOS software (at this stage) is unaffected
>*   Removing Tame and any traces of it does not help
>*   SCAN, VET and other virus detectors cannot find anything

>I am **not** saying that there is a virus because I do not have enough facts.  I
>could not find anything but it is strange that both my friends' 286s went down,
>yet other friends' 286s (who use the same shareware *except* tame) are healthy.

I use TAME 2.50 all the time, but only with Telemate ( a non-windows
communication program) and have not experienced any of the problems you
have mentioned.  What were you trying to use TAME with?  What else are you
running (TSR's, utilities, other programs)?  Have you tried running windows
bare bones (nothing loaded or run except PM) and then tried using TAME?
Why don't you have your friends with the 'healthy' 286's try using TAME and
see if they experience the same problems?

From your message it is unclear that TAME is the cause of your problems.
Also be careful of using that word *virus*, especially when you are not sure
and McAfee's SCAN program has not reported as such.

Eric Augustus
eaugustu@blackbird.afit.af.mil

--
|  Capt Eric Augustus (GUS)	  | "The time you enjoy wasting is not       |