[comp.windows.ms] telemate under windows 3.0

a1076@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Bell) (12/06/90)

I've been using telemate for a few days now and am very impressed with it
.However I am unable to run it from windows 3.0 as a dos application.I have
tried creating a pif for it but every time I run telemate I get the message
insufficient memory,even though I have 550k available for its use under
windows-can anyone help ?
Robert Bell                       uunet!van_bc!rsoft!mindlink!a1076
Benndorf-Verster                  a1076@mindlink.uucp
Vancouver Canada                  voice 604-853-5870

a1076@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Bell) (12/07/90)

Hi Eric,
         thanks for the info,yes i think you're right,i guess i just don't have
enough memory.By the way i run windows in standard mode on a 286 comp with 1
meg mem,hopefully i hope to increase my memory to 4 megs,which should make
windows a lot easier to use.Yes I agree telemate must be the best comms program
around,I really like the script facilities and transfer protocols plus it's so
easy to use.By the way what do you do in the airforce? If you don't mind me
asking,as I'm interested in anything military,having served in the British Army
for a number of years myself.
                               bye for now!

eaugustu@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Eric P. Augustus) (12/08/90)

a1076@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Bell) writes:

>I've been using telemate for a few days now and am very impressed with it
>.However I am unable to run it from windows 3.0 as a dos application.I have
>tried creating a pif for it but every time I run telemate I get the message
>insufficient memory,even though I have 550k available for its use under
>windows-can anyone help ?

I run telemate in a dos window with no problem at all.  I've got a pif file
setup with 480k required and 640k desired, windowed and set to background
operation.  Are you running in enhanced, standard, or real mode?  How much
memory do you have?  I'm assuming the 550k you mentioned is the amount of
memory you have when you run a dos application.  If so, then that should be
enough since telemate 'only' requires 480k.  You might be getting the
insufficient memory error from not having enough memory for windows to free
up and run telemate.  Sorry I couldn't help you more.  I too am impressed
with telemate, so much so that I haven't found any other comm program to
beat it (even any of the windows comm pgms).

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|  Capt Eric Augustus (GUS)	  | "The time you enjoy wasting is not       |

aaron@cavebbs.gen.nz (Aaron Roydhouse) (12/09/90)

In article <> eaugustu@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Eric P. Augustus) writes:
>a1076@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Bell) writes:
[...]
>>insufficient memory,even though I have 550k available for its use under
>>windows-can anyone help ?

As Eric pointed out, Windows must be able to actually free up that
much memory before it will even _try_ to run Telemate. The
insufficient memory error probably stems from this.

[...]
>I too am impressed
>with telemate, so much so that I haven't found any other comm program to
>beat it (even any of the windows comm pgms).

I've been using 2.11 under Windows 3.0 in enhanced mode. In general it
has worked very well, however I have had occasional hang-ups that
haven't occurred with other DOS apps under Windows. I have also
experience some mess-ups with the ANSI emulation and a recent version
of Searchlight BBS's message editor.

Once I went Alt-H and the "Hanging Up..." dialogue box appeared,
where-upon Telemate (and Windows) did!

Aaron.
--
 _  Aaron "The Entity" Roydhouse  /  Ph: +64 4 726-363  A/H: +64 4 850-988
/ \  -=[ The Cave MegaBBS ]=-    /  Fax: +64 4 4996301  BBS: +64 4 643-429
\__   aaron@comp.vuw.ac.nz     /  Quote: "Death: To stop sinning suddenly"