[comp.windows.ms] Trouble with Mouse

rui@athena.mit.edu (Christopher Rui Tung) (12/07/90)

I have a GVC "lite-mouse."  It's an optical mouse that's suppossed to be Microsoft mouse compatible, however it doesn't
seem to work under windows.  Using the driver given, I type "lmouse /m1" and it replies, "Microsoft mouse installed on com1..." but when I try to install the window's mouse driver, it doesn't find any driver.  What am I doing wrong?

Chris Tung
rui@athena.mit.edu

aaron@cavebbs.gen.nz (Aaron Roydhouse) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec6.234024.27565@athena.mit.edu> rui@athena.mit.edu writes:
>I have a GVC "lite-mouse."  It's an optical mouse that's
>suppossed to be Microsoft mouse compatible, however it doesn't
>seem to work under windows.  Using the driver given, I type "lmouse /m1"
>and it replies, "Microsoft mouse installed on com1..." but when I try
>to install the window's mouse driver, it doesn't find any driver.
>What am I doing wrong?

Perhaps the mouse is only MS compatible from the outside of the mouse
driver, or perhaps it is only compatible with older versions of MS
drivers. The point is moot however as MS Windows does not use the
driver at all, but goes direct to the mouse (apparantly there is a
good reason for it :-). The driver is installed for the benefit of DOS
progs being run under Windows. So I think you must convince _Windows_
itself to like your mouse :-(.

Good luck,
Aaron.

--
 _  Aaron "The Entity" Roydhouse  /  Ph: +64 4 726-363  A/H: +64 4 850-988
/ \  -=[ The Cave MegaBBS ]=-    /  Fax: +64 4 4996301  BBS: +64 4 643-429
\__   aaron@comp.vuw.ac.nz     /  Quote: "Death: To stop sinning suddenly"