[comp.windows.ms] conflict bet backmenu & stars!!!

leol@cat5.cs.wisc.edu (Leo Lim) (12/08/90)

  Hello, everyone!
I found there is a conflict between backmenu.exe & stars.exe.
The problem was:
   When I close stars, backmenu can't pop up anymore when i click right button
   mouse. However, (of course) backmenu is still in memory.

Any comments or suggestion about this???
THANKS++;

=== Leo Martin Lim ===

ih@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Ian Heath) (12/11/90)

In <1990Dec8.080128.222@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> leol@cat5.cs.wisc.edu (Leo Lim) writes:

>  Hello, everyone!
>I found there is a conflict between backmenu.exe & stars.exe.
>The problem was:
>   When I close stars, backmenu can't pop up anymore when i click right button
>   mouse. However, (of course) backmenu is still in memory.

>Any comments or suggestion about this???
>THANKS++;

	Back-Menu works by replacing the message processing function
of the Desktop with its own. The replacement looks for the right mouse
button being clicked and brings up a menu if this is the case. Any
other messages are passed on to the *old* message processing function.
I assume Stars works in the same way. The problem comes about from
having both progams installed, and then uninstalling the wrong program
first. The scenario goes something like this:-

	Stars installs itself. It finds the default desktop message
handler, remembers it, and replaces it with its own.  Back-Menu then
installs itself. It finds the message handler installed by Stars, and
remembers this and replaces it with *its* own handler. So, for any
message the dwsktop receives, if Back-Menu does not process it, it is
passed on to what Back-Menu thinks is the default message function
(which is Stars). Stars then does much the same thing, passing the
message on to the default windows desktop message processing function.

	This is all OK until the user wants to uninstall Stars. When
Stars removes itself (assuming it does much the same as Back-Menu) it
restores the old desktop message processing function (ie. the
default one). Back-Menu is no longer receives any messages and so wil
no longer pop-up, and because it hasn't been closed, it still remains
in memory.

	The problem is very akin to that of installing and
uninstalling TSR programs in DOS. If you don't uninstall them in the
opposite order to that which they were installed, probelms occur. The
only solution at present is to to do this with Back-Menu and Stars.
I'm thinking of modifications to Back-Menu to stop it being removed if
it isn't the last program in this *chain*, like most TSR programs, and
this should help.

>=== Leo Martin Lim ===

	|   Ian Heath,                  |				|
	|   Postgraduate Student,       | .signatures, who needs 'em.	|
	|   University of Southampton,  |				|
	|   England.                    |				|
	| email: ih@uk.ac.soton.ecs	| 				|