[comp.windows.ms] Greek symbols on HP Laserjet III from Winword

a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) (12/10/90)

> jfm@uncmed.med.unc.edu writes:
> Does anyone know how to access the PC-8 symbol set on an HP Laserjet III
> using Windows 3.0 and Word for Windows?  I got Microsoft's Supplemental
> Library of drivers for Windows, but it didn't help at all.  Beta and mu
> come out okay, but alpha, gamma, delta, and some others appear as
> underlines or something else.
>
>   John F. Miller

     John, WinWord comes with a complete symbol set as soft fonts.  You are
asked during WinWord installation if you want to install them.  They work fine,
and show up appropriately on the screen.  There is no need to dig into the
Laserjet symbol set.
     The symbol set seems to include a complete set of Greek Letters, mapped
generally where you would expect them on the keyboard (alpha to a, beta to b
etc.).
--
Bruce Dunn   Vancouver, Canada    a752@mindlink.UUCP

jfm@uncmed.med.unc.edu (12/11/90)

Does anyone know how to access the PC-8 symbol set on an HP Laserjet III
using Windows 3.0 and Word for Windows?  I got Microsoft's Supplemental
Library of drivers for Windows, but it didn't help at all.  Beta and mu
come out okay, but alpha, gamma, delta, and some others appear as
underlines or something else.

I tried hacking HPPCL5A.DRV to replace the ESC (8U sequence that invokes
the Roman-8 symbol set with ESC (10U to invoke the PC-8 set, but that
appeared to make no difference.  If only Windows had something like the
MAKEPRD that comes with Word for DOS. . .

Anybody got a clue on this one?

I wish Microsoft would get their Mac, DOS, and Windows developers
together so the various versions of Word would meld, but I'm not holding
my breath.

  John F. Miller
  Department of Pharmacology, UNC-CH School of Medicine
  1026A FLOB  (231H) CB#7365, Chapel Hill, NC  27599    Tel: (919) 966-6966