[comp.windows.ms] QVTNET and DEPCA card

rhodes@rogue.llnl.gov (Rhodes, Mark) (12/04/90)

Is there a "packet driver" that works with a DEC DEPCA card so that I can
run QVTNET.

rhodes@rogue.llnl.gov (Rhodes, Mark) (12/06/90)

In a previous message I asked for info on a packet driver that works with
the DEC DEPCA card. Since then, DEC Tech support told me that DLL is the
packet driver. A memory map scan shows that DLL uses two vector hooks,
6B and 6D. I tried both in the QVT RC file. Neither works and I get
the "packet class error" that others posting here have seen. Does
anyone have a clue?

rcstack@rwc.urc.tue.nl (Studenten Vereniging Stack) (12/07/90)

In article <87295@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> rhodes@rogue.llnl.gov writes:
>In a previous message I asked for info on a packet driver that works with
>the DEC DEPCA card. Since then, DEC Tech support told me that DLL is the
>packet driver. A memory map scan shows that DLL uses two vector hooks,
>6B and 6D. I tried both in the QVT RC file. Neither works and I get
>the "packet class error" that others posting here have seen. Does
>anyone have a clue?

The DLL driver gives you the same functionality as an extended, high
performance Packet Driver. However, it has a different calling convention.
To overcome this problem, I wrote a DLL to Packet Driver converter,
which allows you to use programs that call the Packet Driver over DLL,
the driver of DEC's PCSA.

The converter was written as part of a practical training job here at EUT
and is currently under beta test. It will probably be released into the
public domain by the end of this month, along with DLL support for KA9Q.

-Harry Stox
Email: Internet: rcstack@urc.tue.nl              Bitnet: rcstack1@heitue5
Computer Association STACK, Computing Centre RC 1.58,
Eindhoven University of Technology, POBox 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, Holland.

zlcbeowen@qut.edu.au (Chris Owen) (12/08/90)

Mark Rhodes (rhodes@rogue.llnl.gov) writes:

>In a previous message I asked for info on a packet driver that works with
>the DEC DEPCA card. Since then, DEC Tech support told me that DLL is the
>packet driver. A memory map scan shows that DLL uses two vector hooks,
>6B and 6D. I tried both in the QVT RC file. Neither works and I get
>the "packet class error" that others posting here have seen. Does
>anyone have a clue?

DLL is _not_ a packet driver as per FTP's specifications, it is a proprietary
interface to their cards which does much the same thing.  It is not interface
compatible, therefore can't be used.

Last I heard, the DEPCA packet driver was on the list of things to do for the
next Clarkson packet driver release.  There was a posting in comp.dcom.lans
recently by Russ Nelson to this effect.

Chris Owen                           | c_owen@qut.edu.au
Computer Based Education             | voice +61 7 223 2912
Queensland University of Technology  | FAX   +61 7 229 0874
Brisbane, Australia

nickless@andrews.edu (Bill Nickless) (12/11/90)

In article <269@rc6.urc.tue.nl> rcstack@urc.tue.nl writes:
>The DLL driver gives you the same functionality as an extended, high
>performance Packet Driver. However, it has a different calling convention.
>To overcome this problem, I wrote a DLL to Packet Driver converter,
>which allows you to use programs that call the Packet Driver over DLL,
>the driver of DEC's PCSA.

Has anyone done precisely the inverse of this--written so that a DEC
program that calls DLL will operate with a packet-driven Ethernet card?
--
---
Bill Nickless     nickless@peter.cs.andrews.edu or nickless@flash.ras.anl.gov