[comp.windows.ms] W4W AutoSave macro

preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) (12/05/90)

Are there any macros for Word for Windows publicly available?
I haven't seen any being posted, or on simtel.
The following is a very simple autosave macro to use instead of
the silly thing built into W4W that bugs you to save at random
intervals.  If you've never played with the macro feature:

	run W4W
	pull down the macro menu
	click on edit (in the macro menu)
	enter savenow for the macro name
	cut and paste the following macro into the macro editor
	save it and the global command changes

In order to use it, you'll either need to assign it to a menu,
assign it to a key, or have it run when you start W4W (more about
that after the macro).

................................cut here...................................

Sub MAIN
If IsDirty() Then
	FileSave
	End If
now$ = Time$()
ap$ = Right$(now$, 2)
hour =  Val(Left$(now$, 2))
min =  Val(Mid$(now$, 4, 2))
min = min + 4
If min > 59 Then
	min = min - 60
	hour = hour + 1
	End If
If ap$ = "PM"  And hour <> 12 Then
	hour = hour + 12
	End If
If hour = 24 Then
	hour = 0
	End If
If min =  0 Then
	nextime$ = Right$(Str$(hour), 2) + ":00"
ElseIf min < 10 Then
	nextime$ = Right$(Str$(hour), 2) + ":0" + Right$(Str$(min), 1)
Else
	nextime$ = Right$(Str$(hour), 2) + ":" + Right$(Str$(min), 2)
	End If
OnTime nextime$, "savenow"
End Sub

.................................cut here..............................

If you'd like to have this run when you start W4W, create the macro
AutoExec and paste the following into it:

Sub MAIN
FileNew
If MsgBox("enable autosave?", 36) Then
	Print "autosave enabled"
	MacroRun "savenow"
	End If
End Sub

I expect to make this a little more sophisticated, and post a new version in
about a week, but I wanted to see if anyone else was writing macros.
-david

        preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov
	B4 f+ t- k+ s-/+ r P8/3 S6 b+/- g- l-/+ y- z/! n o+/++ x a+ u v-- j++
        D. R. Preston  584 Castro St. #614 SF CA 94114 USA

Hubert Lai <LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (12/06/90)

In article <87252@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R
Preston) says:

>I expect to make this a little more sophisticated, and post a new version in
>about a week, but I wanted to see if anyone else was writing macros.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the enhanced version of your macro.

The only other macro that I've seen is one called Enveloper 3.0.  This is a
super-sophisticated application written in WinWord's WordBASIC language that
prints addresses to any HP laser printer.  I found it on CompuServe.
Actually, to call it a macro is misleading.  It is very slick with auto-
installation, etc.  You would swear that the thing was a full-fledged
application.  Very hot!

If you come across any other macors, by all means please let me know about
them!

<=- Hubert

vu@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Chi Vu) (12/06/90)

In article <90339.190939LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> LAIH@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Hubert Lai) writes:

>If you come across any other macors, by all means please let me know about
>them!
>
><=- Hubert
I found a couple of other macros on Compuserve that will allow you to
save the name of several directories.  Thus you can quickly switch to
directories that you frequently use.  Another macro inserts the full
path name of the current document plus date and time.  There are
several others, but I don't use them very much, so I don't remember.
On Compuserve look under the Word for Windows Library in WINAPP (or is
it WINAPA?).

-Chi

Chi Vu
vu@src.honeywell.com
Honeywell, Systems & Research Center
Minneapolis, Minnesota
(612)782-7544

gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) (12/07/90)

Preston,
I've written several macros and uploaded them to Compuserve
in the MSAPP library (12).

There is a packet called Gtools.zip which contains a bunch of
utilities including an envelope printer for HP laserjets that
bypasses the Windows driver;  WindowStack, WinSideBySide, an
autoexec macro for choosing starting directory, toggles.

I like your autosave.  I'll give it a look.  Thanks.

gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) (12/07/90)

The Word for Windows section of MSAPP on Compuserve is very active.
You will find several packets of macros in Library 1 and Library 12.

Browse on macros, or gjg.

lwallace@javelin.es.com (Lynn Wallace) (12/13/90)

preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) writes:

>Are there any macros for Word for Windows publicly available?
>I haven't seen any being posted, or on simtel.
>The following is a very simple autosave macro to use instead of
>the silly thing built into W4W that bugs you to save at random
>intervals.  If you've never played with the macro feature:

Very interesting stuff.  I am curious, is this a problem with other programs?

Would someone mind mailing me info on which major programs do not have such an
auto-save capability, and maybe some that do?  How about programs on which you'dlike to see it?

Thanks!
--
Lynn Wallace			   |Yes, I speak for E&S.  In fact, I'm the...
Evans and Sutherland Computer Corp.|President of the company!  Yeah, that's it!

preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec12.181221.2597@javelin.es.com> lwallace@javelin.es.com (Lynn Wallace) writes:
>preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) writes:
>
>>The following is a very simple autosave macro to use instead of
>>the silly thing built into W4W that bugs you to save at random
>>intervals.
>
>Very interesting stuff.  I am curious, is this a problem with other programs?

Well, I'm a UNIX hacker and I believe in what-you-do-is-what-you-get.  I don't
want the idiot-proofing "I don't think you want to do that, Dave" that is built
into all of the user-friendly software now.  Or at least I want a way around it.
Windows seems especially bad in this regard with its "do you want to close the
program manager?", "do you want to close the file manager?" crap. The "autosave"
in W4W pops up a message box, accompanied by a nerve-rattling beep, that asks
if you want to save.  It doesn't have "don't ask" as an option.

BTW, my apologies to those of you who may have tried to use my autosave
macro before 10am.  My SO, a military brat, pointed out to me that the
hours between midnight and 10am have to have a leading zero.  A fixed
version of the simple macro, and an autosave macro with a dialog box
and options and a way to turn it off once it's been turned on, will be
posted as soon as I get the error-trapping right, and do the auto-installing
script.