[comp.windows.ms] Token Ring & Win 3.0

et10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edmund E. Tsai) (12/01/90)

Has anyone been able to get a Token Ring Adapter to work with Windows?

I looked at the clarkson drivers and there is a driver for the token
ring but it says I need to have the IBM LAN software loaded.  Anybody
know how much this software costs?

Also, why is it that when I run TOKREUI.COM and then run Windows 3.0,
Windows crashes?

I can get the token ring to work if I load TOKREUI.COM in a DOS session
under windows but after some time I usually get a SYSTEM INTEGRITY
CORRUPTED message.

Thanks
ED

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (12/04/90)

et10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edmund E. Tsai) writes:

>Has anyone been able to get a Token Ring Adapter to work with Windows?

Yes.  I'm using WinQVT/Net under MS-Windows 3 with an IBM Token Ring
Adapter II/a.  I am currently attached to four NetWare servers (286
and 386) and have telnet sessions to two UNIX hosts.

>I looked at the clarkson drivers and there is a driver for the token
>ring but it says I need to have the IBM LAN software loaded.  Anybody
>know how much this software costs?

The IBM PC LAN Support Program version 1.1 (IBM feature # 5683) lists
for $60.00.  If you have a volume purchase agreement or are an
educational inst. you can get it for $40.00.  Note that version 1.2 is
actually the current version of this software.  I don't have any price
information but would expect version 1.2 is roughly equal to version
1.1 in cost.

>Also, why is it that when I run TOKREUI.COM and then run Windows 3.0,
>Windows crashes?

Don't know.

>I can get the token ring to work if I load TOKREUI.COM in a DOS session
>under windows but after some time I usually get a SYSTEM INTEGRITY
>CORRUPTED message.

The configuration I have is:

    CONFIG.SYS
	device=c:\bin\HIMEM.SYS		     ;Microsoft high memory driver
	device=c:\bin\SMARTDRV.SYS 2048 512  ;Microsoft disk cache
	device=c:\bin\DXMA0MOD.SYS	     ;IBM PC LAN Support program
	device=c:\bin\DXMC0MOD.SYS ,d800     ; " specifies address d800
	device=c:\bin\ANSI.SYS               ;
	lastdrive=k			     ;Makes L: first network drive
	buffers=10			     ;Few buffers because of cache
	files=30			     ;Depends on applications
	stacks=0,0                           ;Save a little RAM
	shell=c:\COMMAND.COM /e:1024 /p      ;Big environment

    AUTOEXEC.BAT
	[bunch of stuff to setup environment -- none useful to you]
	IBMTOKEN.COM 0x61 0		     ;Packet driver for Token Ring
	c:\win\winqvt\PKTINT.COM	     ;WinQVT/Net packet drv interface
	IPX.COM				     ;NetWare IPX protocol driver
	XMSNET3.EXE			     ;NetWare DOS redirector shell
	L:				     ;
	LOGIN				     ;Login on server
	C:
	CD C:\WIN
	WIN				     ;Start MS-Windows
	C:
	CD \

If you are using a NetBios LAN (e.g., IBM PC LAN Program), you will
have to add DXMT0MOD.SYS with the requisite configuration options to
your CONFIG.SYS, and replace IPX and XMSNET3 with NET START and NET
USE commands (as appropriate for your LAN software).

Hope this helps.  Good luck.
Mark Medici/SysProg3 * Rutgers University/CCIS * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu (Joe Herman) (12/04/90)

> In article medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) writes:
>>et10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edmund E. Tsai) writes:

>>Has anyone been able to get a Token Ring Adapter to work with Windows?

Yup, I run windows using IBM's PC/LAN for Netbios and our DOSIP stuff
for TCP access.  Both run over IBM's token ring with no problem.  Well
almost no problem.  Every now and then, if you touch a network drive
while in a dos box, and then touch it in protected mode, the network
drive goes away.  It's not a consistant problem for me, so I haven't
been able to track it down.  When you install windows it asks you which
LAN you have.  I believe there have been a couple of updates for Novell
to work with Windows.  If you're running Novell, you might want to call
them and ask them about it.

From experience I've discovered that the token ring packet driver and
IBM's PC/LAN don't particularly get along real well.  Either will refuse
to load if the other is present (at least that's been my experience).
The token ring packet driver works well with Novell though.

			Joe Herman

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu

--
"Everything is wonderful until you know something about it."

dj1l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Demian A. Johnston) (12/13/90)

                                <_/