[comp.windows.ms] Kermit Clipboard and Paint

allred@ut-emx.uucp (Kevin L. Allred) (12/11/90)

I have a pasting problem, that I think shouldn't be a problem.  I
still use Kermit for my terminal emulator, because I can do 132
columns by 43 rows and it does Tektronix graphics.  I haven't found a
Windows terminal program yet that will do Tektronix.  After I do a
graph, I sometimes want to print it out.  Under windows, I can press
ALT-PrtScn and copy the screen to the clipboard.  When I examine the
clipboard the hole image is there.  I can the open up paint, and paste
the image onto the screen, but it only pastes as much as can actually
be seen.  Even when I expand paint to full screen (640x480), and make
the palate and tools hidden, I can't fit the whole clipboard onto the
screen.  Is there some way around this problem short of getting a
multisync monitor so I can go to 800x600.

I have to go through a slightly elaborate scheme to get a meaningful
print out.  Kermit draws Tektronix in low intensity white on black (I
haven't been able to figure out how to get black on white in tek
mode).  Clipboard faithfully maintains this.  If I try to paste this
onto a monochrome paint document, it comes out black on black.  I can
paste it onto a color paint document.  I can then select the viewable
region ( but not anything outside :-( ), invert the colors to get grey
on white, and save it to a temporary file.  I can then reload the
temporary file in monochrome mode, and presto, I get black lines on
white background, which I can then print out.  Anyone have a simple
windows utility that will take the whole clipboard and allow it to be
printed as is or with colors inverted.
--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sanjay Aiyagari) (12/11/90)

In article <41131@ut-emx.uucp>,
allred@ut-emx.uucp (Kevin L. Allred) writes:
> the image onto the screen, but it only pastes as much as can actually
> be seen.  Even when I expand paint to full screen (640x480), and make
> the palate and tools hidden, I can't fit the whole clipboard onto the
> screen.  Is there some way around this problem short of getting a
> multisync monitor so I can go to 800x600.

You can change the size of the logical page in Paintbrush by going into Image
Attributes and typing in the number of horizontal and vertical pixels (I think
it displays numbers in inches but you can click on "pels" and then type in the
number of pixels).  Then, click "OK" and go to File New.  (Changes to Image
attributes don't take effect until you do a File New).  This should put scroll
bars on the screen and allow you to scroll an 800x600 image on a 640x480
screen.
Sanjay Aiyagari (hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)

allred@ut-emx.uucp (Kevin L. Allred) (12/12/90)

In article <41131@ut-emx.uucp>, allred@ut-emx.uucp (Kevin L. Allred) writes:
> be seen.  Even when I expand paint to full screen (640x480), and make
> the palate and tools hidden, I can't fit the whole clipboard onto the
> screen.  Is there some way around this problem short of getting a
> multisync monitor so I can go to 800x600.

The folowing solution was mailed to me by rs@tnoibbc.ibbc.tno.nl (Rob
Schoenmaker):

First zoom out, then paste the image from the clipboard, click outside
the hatched area, zoom in, et voila !

This indeed works, but there remains one final problem spot.  As I
mentioned in my original posting, I need to select the whole image,
which is bigger than the viewable area, to invert it to black lines on
white background.  As far as I was able to determine there is no way to
select anything when zoomed out.  I suspect that it is possible to
invert the image in four pieces, but this would be inconvenient.
Does anyone know of a way to select the whole bitmap, and not just the
viewable region?  Too bad print doesn't have the option to print the
bitmap as a negative image.  Does anyone know how to get Kermit to do
white on black in Tek mode?

I did try this on a different system that had a multisync monitor with
the 800x600 and 1024x768 drivers.  With the bigger viewable area, it
was much easier.

Thanks again.
--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec11.034731.1524@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sanjay Aiyagari) writes:
>In article <41131@ut-emx.uucp>,
>allred@ut-emx.uucp (Kevin L. Allred) writes:
>> the image onto the screen, but it only pastes as much as can actually
>> be seen.  Even when I expand paint to full screen (640x480), and make
>> the palate and tools hidden, I can't fit the whole clipboard onto the
>> screen.  Is there some way around this problem short of getting a
>> multisync monitor so I can go to 800x600.
>
>You can change the size of the logical page in Paintbrush by going into Image
>Attributes and typing in the number of horizontal and vertical pixels (I think
[stuff deleted]
The way I did it was as follows:
	- Cut/Copy the image from Application
	- In Paintbrush choose  "Zoom _Out" (Ctrl+O) from the _View menu.
	- Then "_Paste" (Shift+Ins) from _Edit menu. (Twice)
	- Then choose  "Zoom _In" (Ctrl+Z) from the _View menu.
Try this.  Let me (or us if you post) know if this does/doesn't work.
If you need a better description, again let me know.

I think this should be added to the monthly FAQ post.  It was answered
for me a couple of months ago, and I am finding that other people ask the
same question.

| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 |                           | bill@polygen.com            |