[comp.windows.ms] How can you Save Winword Doc as PCX/TIFF for Fax ?

Laslett_GI@cc.curtin.edu.au (12/09/90)

RE:        Saving Entire Winword Document as PCX/TIFF

I would like to be able to Transmit a document as a Fax via
a Faxcard which will accept PCX or TIFF files for Transmission.

The Windows clipboard will not permit Paintbrush to paste from
an entire page of "Cut/Copy"ed Winword information.

Does anyone know a way to "Save" a Winword document in TIFF
or PCX format.  ie. the whole printed page becomes a single
graphic field.

Of course I could print the page out and then scan it, or
print it then send it via a normal fax machine, but this is
what fax cards are supposed to replace.

Thanks in advance.

                                      Curtin University of Technology
Greg Laslett                                       Perth
                                              Western Australia

 PSImail: psi%050529452300070::Laslett_GI
 Internet: Laslett_GI@cc.curtin.edu.au
 ACSnet: Laslett_GI@cc.cut.oz.au
 Bitnet: Laslett_GI%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet
 UUCP  : uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!Laslett_GI

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (12/10/90)

>I would like to be able to Transmit a document as a Fax via
>a Faxcard which will accept PCX or TIFF files for Transmission.

I can think of a couple of solutions.
1) FAXIT for windows is a windows driver (that I have never used BTW)
that should let you print direct from WFW to a supported FAX card (There's
the catch!)

2) HIJAAK is a graphics conversion program that will accept an HP PCL file
(LaserJet print file) and convert it to a TIFF, PCX, and MANY FAX file formats.

I think item 1) is going to set you back about $179 (list) and I think
door #2 is worth about $149 list. Your mileage may vary.

tj

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (12/10/90)

In article <5084.2762814d@cc.curtin.edu.au>, Laslett_GI@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
> I would like to be able to Transmit a document as a Fax via
> a Faxcard which will accept PCX or TIFF files for Transmission.
>
> The Windows clipboard will not permit Paintbrush to paste from
> an entire page of "Cut/Copy"ed Winword information.
>
> Does anyone know a way to "Save" a Winword document in TIFF
> or PCX format.  ie. the whole printed page becomes a single
> graphic field.
..
> Greg Laslett                                       Perth

    You could print the document to an EPS-file and then  somehow
    extract the  TIFF bitmap from the EPS. I don't recall whether
    the standard Windows Postscript driver has an option for pro-
    ducing EPS-files, but I think Designer comes with  a  special
    PS-driver.

    Teemu

--
                             _________
	Teemu Mottonen	    |         |	internet: tmottonen@cc.helsinki.Fi

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (12/10/90)

In article <5084.2762814d@cc.curtin.edu.au> Laslett_GI@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:

>I would like to be able to Transmit a document as a Fax via
>a Faxcard which will accept PCX or TIFF files for Transmission.
>
>The Windows clipboard will not permit Paintbrush to paste from
>an entire page of "Cut/Copy"ed Winword information.
>
>Does anyone know a way to "Save" a Winword document in TIFF
>or PCX format.  ie. the whole printed page becomes a single
>graphic field.

I just got my Fax card from post so I  have not tried  it yet. But the
software that came  with it is supposed  to capture either screens  or
printer output. So perhaps you could try those.

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ================================
  P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland  (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)

wluo@brahms.amd.com (Wilbur Luo) (12/11/90)

I'm doing the same thing (Winword to PCX) and have had mixed success.

I have both FaxIt and Hijaak (2.01C).

FaxIt is great if you want to just dump what you have (i.e., document) to
the faxcard. All the fonts and graphics are preserved and the output
looks cool.  Basically faxit takes over your printer driver and becomes
the fax driver.

But say you wanted to save the results in a PCX file (which FaxIt does
not do), and then fax the PCX file... Well, if someone can tell me
what they have tried, I'd be grateful.

What I have done is use Hijaak.  You creats a PCL (HP's printer control
language (i.e., redirect the output to a PCL file). And then you use
Hijaak to do the conversion to whatever type of file you want (including
specific fax conversions). Sounds great in theory right? Well, I can't
get this Hijaak to work, and tech support is NO HELP.  Thumbs down on
their product (until they it becomes more solid).

-W

bud@cimage.com (Bud Howard) (12/11/90)

Why not make a copy of your document using Edit-Copy, then open up the
Paintbrush program with a big enough page, then paste.  This has always worked
for me to save it to a PCX.  If I ever need to get it into a TIFF file, I just
use the HIJAAK program I have.

Hope it helps

bud

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (12/11/90)

>> I would like to be able to Transmit a document as a Fax via
>> a Faxcard which will accept PCX or TIFF files for Transmission.
>
>    You could print the document to an EPS-file and then  somehow
>    extract the  TIFF bitmap from the EPS. I don't recall whether
>    the standard Windows Postscript driver has an option for pro-
>    ducing EPS-files, but I think Designer comes with  a  special
>    PS-driver.

Windows driver does provide EPS File creation. Unfortunately
it doesn not include the OPTIONAL TIFF preview. Does the
designer driver include it for sure? EPSF doesn't HAVE to have the
preview.
tj

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (12/13/90)

In article <4192.276373ba@cc.helsinki.fi> tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>In article <5084.2762814d@cc.curtin.edu.au>, Laslett_GI@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>> The Windows clipboard will not permit Paintbrush to paste from
>> an entire page of "Cut/Copy"ed Winword information.

What!!!!?????  Are you kidding?  I find this very hard to believe.  I
have cut 640x350 images into the clipboard, and then pasted the whole
thing into Paintbrush.  The way I did it was as follows:
	- Cut/Copy the image from WinWord.
	- In Paintbrush choose  "Zoom _Out" (Ctrl+O) from the _View menu.
	- Then "_Paste" (Shift+Ins) from _Edit menu. (Twice)
	- Then choose  "Zoom _In" (Ctrl+Z) from the _View menu.
Try this.  Let me (or us if you post) know if this does/doesn't work.
If you need a better description, again let me know.

+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 |                           | bill@polygen.com            |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec11.152417.19949@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
>>> I would like to be able to Transmit a document as a Fax via
>>> a Faxcard which will accept PCX or TIFF files for Transmission.
>>
>>    You could print the document to an EPS-file and then  somehow
>>    extract the  TIFF bitmap from the EPS. I don't recall whether
>>    the standard Windows Postscript driver has an option for pro-
>>    ducing EPS-files, but I think Designer comes with  a  special
>>    PS-driver.
>
> Windows driver does provide EPS File creation. Unfortunately
> it doesn not include the OPTIONAL TIFF preview. Does the
> designer driver include it for sure? EPSF doesn't HAVE to have the
> preview.
> tj

    Yes it does. You can choose to include the TIFF preview or
    not.

--
                             _________