[net.auto] broken gas gauge query

rob@cornell.UUCP (12/10/84)

From: rob (Rob McCurley)

<>

I am having a problem with the gas gauge of my 65 Cutlass.
When I start the car, the gas gauge moves from just under
full to well past full ('pegged' is the term I believe) regardless
of the amount in the tank.  This behavior started suddenly.  Does
anyone have experience with this type of problem?  I would suspect
a short rather than an open circuit, but can't find anything
obvious.  My experiences with local mechanics suggests that this
may be beyond their area of expertise.  I would appreciate mail if
have any suggestions.

Rob McCurley
Cornell University

{ihnp4,cmc12}!cornell!rob
rob@cornell.ARPA

jeh@ritcv.UUCP (Jim Heliotis) (12/12/84)

My experience with cars' electrical problems tells me this:

(1) If you have a good amount of time yourself, and are willing to get wiring
diagrams for you car (and figure them out), and a VOM or other test equipment,
then try to figure it out yourself.

(2) The only competent people around for these problems are the dealers.
Sometimes they charge you a lot of money (if parts need to be replaced), and
sometimes not (reconnect a wire).  But you will, most likely, get it fixed
right the first time.

Ithaca has a nice bus system which, if I remember, goes by the areas
where the car dealers live, so it should not be too inconvenient.

...just my opinion!

				Jim Heliotis
				{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!jeh
				rocksvax!ritcv!jeh
				ritcv!jeh@Rochester

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (12/19/84)

In article <1424@ritcv.UUCP> jeh@ritcv.UUCP (Jim Heliotis) writes:
>My experience with cars' electrical problems tells me this:
>... The only competent people around for these problems are the dealers.

not ALL dealers are competent.  I bought a '80 FIAT Brava from a dealer
here in town.  (Concord CA)  We had a problem with the tail lights that
they never DID fix right -- even after 4 trys.

I finally got a service manual about 3 weeks before some idiot ran into
it and totalled it.  Argh (Ever try to find a rental car on Easter?)

--
"Take this //JOB and run it!"

Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900