[comp.windows.ms] W4W change doc directory?

bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Lee M. Bollard) (12/14/90)

Does anyone have a macro (or whatever one needs) to change the default
document directory in Word for Windows (1.1)?

cpa@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Christopher P Avram) (12/14/90)

In article <10730007@hpspkla.spk.hp.com> bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com
(Lee M. Bollard) writes:
>Does anyone have a macro (or whatever one needs) to change the default
>document directory in Word for Windows (1.1)?

One way to change the default directory used by
Microsoft Word for Windows or any other standard
application (Excel, paint, write, pifedit etc)
is:-
1. click on the apps icon in the group window
2. choose the File menu
3. choose the Properties option
4. put the required path in the Command line field
  for example in the case of Notepad, replace
        NOTEPAD.EXE by C:\USR\NPD\NOTEPAD.EXE
  Don't worry, the windows directory is in the dos search
  path so the program doesn't need to be in the default
  directory, step 4 says set the default directory to
  C:\USR\NPD\ and as a first step look for NOTEPAD.EXE
  in that directory. When that search fails, dos will find
  NOTEPAD.EXE in the windows directory, but will leave the
  default directory set to C:\USR\NPD\.
5. click on OK
6. ignore the Invalid path warning click on OK
7. unfortunately the icon file name has been changed to
   a non existent file so the icon is a program manager
   default. Don't worry yet.
8. choose the File menu
9. choose the Properties option
10. click on Change Icon
11. remove the path in the File Name field of the Change
    Icon dialogue box, leave only the true program name
    in our example NOTEPAD.EXE only
12. click on OK
13. click on OK again
14. ignore the Invalid path warning again click on OK
15. Test your new program item by double clicking on the
    icon; once you are in the application go to the File
    menu and choose Open if the directory is correct you
    have finished. Otherwise worry.
I wish I new the correct way to do this. Better still, perhaps
the next release of Windows will have an extra field in the
dialogue box for default directory.

Chris Avram
Department of Computer Technology
Faculty of Computing and Information Technology
Monash University Caulfield Campus

PO Box 197                  Phone + 61 3 573 2196
Caulfield East Vic 3145     Fax   + 61 3 573 2745
AUSTRALIA                   email cpa@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au

preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec14.122008.19073@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> cpa@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Christopher P Avram) writes:
>One way to change the default directory used by
>Microsoft Word for Windows or any other standard
>application
 [steps 1-15 deleted]
>I wish I new the correct way to do this.

With a pif file.  The manual mainly addresses using pifs with non-windows
applications, but there's no reason you can't use it with a windows application
to specify the start-up directory.  You can even have several pifs, each with
a different start-up directory.  I'm not sure exactly how to do it....
-david

        preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov
	B4 f+ t- k+ s-/+ r P8/3 S6 b+/- g- l-/+ y- z/! n o+/++ x a+ u v-- j++
        D. R. Preston  584 Castro St. #614 SF CA 94114 USA

cpa@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Christopher P Avram) (12/15/90)

In relation to methods of changing the default directory used by
windows apps:-

In article <87892@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov
(David R Preston) writes:
>With a pif file.  ...
>...  I'm not sure exactly how to do it

I have tried and I cant do it with PIF files, they seem to be
only for dos apps. The only way I have beeen able to do it is with the
the 15 step method. The 15 step method allows many diferent start up
directories one for each Program Item icon created. The 15 step
method doesnt require an extra pif file (on my system 8Kbytes) for
each default directory. Pif files would be good if they worked,
then it would be possible to prompt for a document name at app load
time as is possible with dos apps.

preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) (12/16/90)

In article <87892@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David R Preston) writes:
>In article <1990Dec14.122008.19073@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> cpa@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Christopher P Avram) writes:
>>One way to change the default directory used by
>>Microsoft Word for Windows or any other standard
>>application
> [steps 1-15 deleted]
>>I wish I new the correct way to do this.
>
>With a pif file.  The manual mainly addresses using pifs with non-windows
>applications, but there's no reason you can't use it with a windows application
>to specify the start-up directory.

Um, it turns out that there is a very good reason you can't use a pif
with a windows application; it doesn't work.  I shoulda tried it before
I posted....

Fortunately, there is a very simple way to set up a default directory with Word.

1. edit WIN.INI with a text editor - notepad or sysedit from insides window,
   or something like PE or VI outside.
2. find the [Microsoft Word] section, if there isn't one add it
3. add a line defining what you want your default directory to be:
	defdir = "E:\THESIS"
   for example
4. if you are using an AutoExec macro, add the lines:
	defdir$ = GetProfileString$("defdir")
	ChDir defdir$
   to the macro
   if you are not using an AutoExec macro:
	choose the macro menu
	choose edit
	type in the name AutoExec
   this will get you a sub main...end sub pair
	insert the two lines from above between the sub main and the end sub

Now whenever you start Word, the AutoExec macro will run and
change the directory to what you have specified in WIN.INI.

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec15.082012.15782@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> cpa@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Christopher P Avram) writes:
>In relation to methods of changing the default directory used by
>windows apps:-
>
>In article <87892@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> preston@lll-crg.llnl.gov
>(David R Preston) writes:
>>With a pif file.  ...
>>...  I'm not sure exactly how to do it
>
>I have tried and I cant do it with PIF files, they seem to be
>only for dos apps. The only way I have beeen able to do it is with the
>the 15 step method. The 15 step method allows many diferent start up
>directories one for each Program Item icon created. The 15 step

On Compu$erve they have at least two "startup" programs available that
can be used.  My File Manager Winword properties look like:

c:\win\util\startup.exe c:\wp\90-12 c:\wp\winword.exe

Startup changes the directory to the first argument and then launches
the second argument.  These programs are either shareware or public
domain (one of each I believe).

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8469    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force

mccashin@unixg.ubc.ca (Brian McCashin) (12/18/90)

This is just a taste of what it can do. I don't use program manager anymore
and I only as file manager for changing file attributes and connecting to
net drives.

NewTools
POB 3269 Church Street Station
N.Y., N.Y.
10008-3269
718-789-5980
Shareware Registration 713-665-7017
I am not affiliated in any way to NewTools. Just a grateful user.
--
 Brian McCashin                            Internet: mccashin@unixg.ubc.ca
 Senior Programmer/Analyst                 Bitnet: USERJAZZ@UBCMTSG

In article <1990Dec17.193341.14720@unixg.ubc.ca> mccashin@unixg.ubc.ca (Brian McCashin) writes:
>This is just a taste of what it can do. I don't use program manager anymore
I'm re-submiting the above article in reply to
1990Dec15.082012.15782@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (WfW initial diretory settings)

I think Program Manager is very weak in this area as well as in launching
files with un-associated extensions. APORIA 1.4 (Shareware available on cica
and windows bulletin boards) can totally replace file manager and program
manager and addresses these problems and many others with an elegant object
oriented interface. Applications, directories, net drives, worksheets and
documents etc can all have icons (tools) created for them, which can
 then manipulated.
For example:
To open a Write document in WfW, drag the .wri file to the WfW tool.
To set WfW's default directory, drag WfW's tool to the directory tool.
To copy a file to another directory, drag the file's tool to the directory tool

This is just a taste of what it can do. I don't use program manager anymore
and I only as file manager for changing file attributes and connecting to
net drives.

NewTools
POB 3269 Church Street Station
N.Y., N.Y.
10008-3269
718-789-5980
Shareware Registration 713-665-7017
I am not affiliated in any way to NewTools. Just a grateful user.
--
 Brian McCashin                            Internet: mccashin@unixg.ubc.ca
 Senior Programmer/Analyst                 Bitnet: USERJAZZ@UBCMTSG
 Centre For Health Services and Policy Research
 University of British Columbia, Vancouver CANADA

bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Lee M. Bollard) (12/19/90)

Ok, here's the best way I've found to change the default directory in
Word for Windows:

Load normal.dot, then actually load a file from the directory you want.
Then close the new file.  Next, change the justification in Format
Paragraph to something, then change it back (this just registers a
change).  Then exit.  You will be prompted to save changes to normal.dot
as well as "global glossary and command changes"  Say YES and you're set!

|  Lee Bollard                     unix:  bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com  |
|  Hewlett-Packard               HPDesk:  Lee BOLLARD / HP1000/53     |
|  Spokane Division          Compuserve:  72105,423                   |
|  (509)921-4608         * Opinions are my own, not my employer's *   |