[comp.windows.ms] best colors set up?

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) (11/19/90)

Hi,
  I have been using a color VGA with Windows3 for two months, I still can't get
used to looking at the screen yet. My eyes feel so tired after a couple hours
of viewing. Here's a question I have:

Why is the most comfortable color combinations for Windows 3.0?

My monitor is a Gateway CS 1024 (actually, it's a Tatung 1498x).
I am running Windows with ATI Wonder at 800x600x256.

Any help would be appreciated.

tony@mantis.UUCP (Tony Lezard) (11/20/90)

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:

>   I have been using a color VGA with Windows3 for two months, I still can't get
> used to looking at the screen yet. My eyes feel so tired after a couple hours
> of viewing. Here's a question I have:
>
> Why is the most comfortable color combinations for Windows 3.0?

Obviously there is no "most comfortable colour combination" - it depends
entirely on your own preferences. Personally, I'm happy with the Windows
default colours, with WEAVE.BMP as the background.

If you're finding looking at the screen tiring, I suggest you experiment with
more subdued colours than the default. Also, try fiddling with the brightness
and contrast controls of your monitor.
Tony Lezard, E-mail: tony@mantis.UUCP, Snail-mail: Mantis Consultants,
Unit 56, St. John's Innovation Centre, Cambridge. CB4 4WS. United Kingdom.
Disclaimer? I'll take my chances for the moment...

dmerrill@hpspcoi.HP.COM (David Merrill) (11/22/90)

>/ hpspcoi:comp.windows.ms / hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) /  1:40 am  Nov 19, 1990 /
>Hi,
>  I have been using a color VGA with Windows3 for two months, I still can't get
>used to looking at the screen yet. My eyes feel so tired after a couple hours
>of viewing. Here's a question I have:
>
>Why is the most comfortable color combinations for Windows 3.0?
>

>My monitor is a Gateway CS 1024 (actually, it's a Tatung 1498x).
>I am running Windows with ATI Wonder at 800x600x256.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know how things look on your monitor, but I'm using a 20" monitor at
1280x1024, and the default color settings remind me of staring into a light-
bulb.  I like to have a black desktop (with a nice bitmap wallpaper), black
window backgrounds, white text, medium-light blue active title bar, and
lots of greys for borders, inactive title bars, etc.  My point of veiw is
that a brightly colored Windows configuration is distracting and fatiguing.
I therefore try to make it as subdued as possivble and leave the exciting
colors to individual apps that need color.

BTW, if you're running in interlaced mode (my guess is that you're not),
DON'T use the weave pattern unless you want an incredible migraine.

Dave Merrill
dmerrill@hpspcoi.hp.com

jimad@microsoft.UUCP (Jim ADCOCK) (11/28/90)

I also find that my perception of windows colors and resulting eye-strain
is very dependent on ambient lighting conditions, and the tasks I'm
working on -- spend a day writing documents with small text and my
eyes will be tired no matter what.  [One can always make the text larger
temporarily, however.]  Also, I adjust my overhead lighting and the shades
on my windows as the day goes on so that my ambient lighting is neither bright
nor dark, but rather just slightly subdued.

Here's the best color combo I could find for myself:

desktop			dark grey
application workspace	off-white
window background	white
window text		black
menu bar		light grey
menu text		black
active title bar	dark grey-green
inactive title bar	light grey
title bar text		black
active border		light green
inactive border		light grey
window frame		black
scroll bars		dark grey-green

Boring, but I find it easy on _my_ eyes.

[A Windows User]

dittrich@milton.u.washington.edu (Dave Dittrich) (12/19/90)

In article <8bFuWJG00YU6Q0fl83@andrew.cmu.edu> hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
>Hi,
>  I have been using a color VGA with Windows3 for two months, I still can't get
>used to looking at the screen yet. My eyes feel so tired after a couple hours
>of viewing. Here's a question I have:
>
>Why is the most comfortable color combinations for Windows 3.0?

Try the colors suggested in the Microsoft Systems Journal article on Windows
(an excerpt of my win.ini file is included).

[colors]
; Colors reset per Geary article in Microsoft Systems Journal, July 1990
; Ones that Control Panel knows about...
ActiveBorder=128 255 255
ActiveTitle=0 128  64
AppWorkspace=64 128 128
Background=128 128 128
InactiveBorder=192 192 192
InactiveTitle=128 128 128
Menu=0 128 128
MenuText=0   0   0
Scrollbar=191 191 191
TitleText=255 255 255
Window=192 192 192
WindowText=0   0   0
WindowFrame=0   0   0
; New ones that Control Panal knows not
;ButtonFace=
;ButtonShadow=
ButtonText=0   0   0
GrayTest=128 128 128
Hilight=128   0   0
HilightText=255 255   0
--
Dave Dittrich
Dept. of Chemistry BG-10, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195