[comp.windows.ms] Windows printing on PC-NFS

karlth@rhi.hi.is (Karl Thoroddsen) (12/15/90)

My university uses the PC-NFS net and according to our Net manager the
network isn't compatible with Windows making it impossible to print from
a Window's application through the net onto a printer.

Is there any way around this problem?

Thanks in advance
--
Karl Thoroddsen             Computer Science           University of Iceland

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (12/18/90)

> My university uses the PC-NFS net and according to our Net manager the
> network isn't compatible with Windows making it impossible to print from
> a Window's application through the net onto a printer.

While PC-NFS does not have direct support under windows, it is possible
to get the two to cooperate.

In order to print the PC-NFS printer you must first mount it in DOS
with a net use command.  Then set up your printer in Windows to print
to LPTn:.OS2.  This allows windows to recognize the virtual ports that
PC-NFS uses.

I hope this helps (it works fine for me)

Robert Nee

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (12/20/90)

In <2543@krafla.rhi.hi.is> karlth@rhi.hi.is (Karl Thoroddsen) writes:

>My university uses the PC-NFS net and according to our Net manager the
>network isn't compatible with Windows making it impossible to print from
>a Window's application through the net onto a printer.

>Is there any way around this problem?

>Thanks in advance
>--
>Karl Thoroddsen             Computer Science           University of Iceland

Windows may not support PCNFS directly but they seem to be compatible with
each other.  On my PC, I have LPT2 and LPT3 setup as remote PCNFS printers.
I can print to LPT2 and LPT3 from Windows with no problems.

Chuck

--
Chuck H. Chapman  (GTRI/STL/MSD)             (404) 528-7168
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!msd!cchapman