[comp.windows.ms] Missing 240 colors....

wer5@ellis.uchicago.edu (Will E. Rose) (12/08/90)

I recently obtained the 256 color drivers for my ATI VGA wonder.  The problem
I have with using 256 color mode is that the control panel, paintbrush, etc.
still dither everything after 16 colors.  I can DISPLAY 256 color images, just
not make a new color for the pallete, or edit a 256 color image.  Is this
a problem with the driver, Win3, or just something I need to reset?

Thanks a lot!

--------------------------------
Will E. Rose
University of Chicago - User Support	| REAL men program in assembly.|

--

					Will Rose

kensy@microsoft.UUCP (Ken SYKES) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec7.222903.23860@midway.uchicago.edu> wer5@ellis.uchicago.edu (Will E. Rose) writes:
>I recently obtained the 256 color drivers for my ATI VGA wonder.  The problem
>I have with using 256 color mode is that the control panel, paintbrush, etc.
>still dither everything after 16 colors.  I can DISPLAY 256 color images, just
>not make a new color for the pallete, or edit a 256 color image.  Is this
>a problem with the driver, Win3, or just something I need to reset?

Windows only uses the first 16 colors to produce dither patterns since they
are the only colors they can count on being in the palette (unless an app
uses SETSYSTEMPALETTEUSE but that's a different story.)  Paintbrush does
not allow you to edit the palette because it is not completely palette-aware
(unfortunately.)  A real palette-aware bitmap editor will support palette
editing without any problem.

Ken Sykes
Disclaimer: The above opinions are solely my own.

jokim@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (John H. Kim) (12/20/90)

In article <59925@microsoft.UUCP> kensy@microsoft.UUCP (Ken SYKES) writes:
>In article <1990Dec7.222903.23860@midway.uchicago.edu> wer5@ellis.uchicago.edu (Will E. Rose) writes:
>> [can only get 16 colors + dithering, not 256 colors]
>
>Windows only uses the first 16 colors to produce dither patterns since they
>are the only colors they can count on being in the palette. ... A real
>palette-aware bitmap editor will support palette editing.

Okay, so the next logical question is:

What programs let you do this?
--
John H. Kim                 | (This space to be filled when I
jokim@jarthur.claremont.edu | think of something very clever