[comp.windows.ms] ever seen a two-inch cursor before?

billj@uop.edu (Bill Jackson) (12/20/90)

recently i downloaded the windows 3.0 drivers from the paradise bbs.
unfortunately, they don't work!  i install the 640x480x256 driver
exactly as the included instructions suggest, and all i get is a
massive, two-inch cursor, three colors (off-yellow, red, and black) and
"pixels" that are about 5mm square!!  please help since i can't afford
another long-distance phone call....

i have a paradise vga 16+ video card w/ 256k memory.

ackthpt!

bill jackson

billj@uop.uop.edu
bjackson@madvax.uop.edu

"where the hell is uop?" - email recipients

ohara@brahms.amd.com (Bob O'Hara) (12/21/90)

In article <276fc5e0.edd@uop.uop.edu> billj@uop.edu (Bill Jackson) writes:
>recently i downloaded the windows 3.0 drivers from the paradise bbs.
>unfortunately, they don't work!  i install the 640x480x256 driver
>exactly as the included instructions suggest, and all i get is a
>massive, two-inch cursor, three colors (off-yellow, red, and black) and
>"pixels" that are about 5mm square!!  please help since i can't afford
>another long-distance phone call....
>
>i have a paradise vga 16+ video card w/ 256k memory.
>

>ackthpt!
>
>bill jackson
>

>--
>
>billj@uop.uop.edu
>bjackson@madvax.uop.edu

>"where the hell is uop?" - email recipients

Bill,
	A little math will show that you don't have enough memory to run your
card in 640x480x256 mode.  That requires just a little more than 307k bytes.
Your only other option until you install more memory is to run in either
640x480x16 (~154k) or 800x600x16 (~240k).

	I made this same mistake myself when I first obtained the drivers
which is why I'm so familiar with it.

Bob O'Hara                          Net:   bob.ohara@amd.com
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.        Phone: +408-749-2321
P.O. Box 3453  MS 70                Fax:   +408-749-2825
Sunnyvale, Ca. 94088-3000
Disclaimer: Everyone needs a disclaimer and I disclaim this one.

jcclark@vmsb.is.csupomona.edu (CURTIS CLARK) (12/21/90)

In article <276fc5e0.edd@uop.uop.edu>, billj@uop.edu (Bill Jackson) writes...
>recently i downloaded the windows 3.0 drivers from the paradise bbs.
>unfortunately, they don't work!  i install the 640x480x256 driver
>exactly as the included instructions suggest, and all i get is a
>massive, two-inch cursor, three colors (off-yellow, red, and black) and
>"pixels" that are about 5mm square!!  please help since i can't afford
>another long-distance phone call....
>
>i have a paradise vga 16+ video card w/ 256k memory.

Most sVGA cards won't support 256 colors at 640x480 with only 256k.  Before
I upgraded my ATI, I didn't even get anything as coherent as a 2 inch cursor.
Add memory up to 512k and you shouldn't have any problems.