[comp.windows.ms] swapfile trouble

Thomson_PW@cc.curtin.edu.au (12/20/90)

I have trouble creating a permanent swapfile in windows V3.

Every time I try and run swapfile a error message pops up telling
that there is a conflicting divice driver in config.sys.
I have tried taking out several drivers and even deleting the file
but nothing seems to work.
My computer is as follows;

386/20 Eeto
4 meg ram
Evervision EGA + 512k Eagle(?) card
65m hd.

config.sys goes somthing like this;
files=30
buffers=30
device=ansi.sys
      =himem.sys
      =smartdrv.sys

also is there any speed advantages using a perm swapfile?
there seems to be when I am using a 33mhz computer.

Please Email me with any advice.

thanks in advance

Thomson_PW@cc.curtin.edu.au  (Internet)      :`why would I want to express my
Thomson_PW%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet    : employers beliefs, when mine
uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!Thomson_PW : are completly original?'  ANON.

rb9a@kelvin.seas.Virginia.EDU (Raul Baragiola) (12/20/90)

In article <5174.2770c349@cc.curtin.edu.au> Thomson_PW@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>I have trouble creating a permanent swapfile in windows V3.
>
>Every time I try and run swapfile a error message pops up telling
>that there is a conflicting divice driver in config.sys.
>I have tried taking out several drivers and even deleting the file
>but nothing seems to work.
>My computer is as follows;
>
>386/20 Eeto
>4 meg ram
>Evervision EGA + 512k Eagle(?) card
>65m hd.

So far we have heard many reports on this; the common factor seems
to be the use of a SCSI hard-disk interface, which Windows seems to
have problems dealing with.

>config.sys goes somthing like this;
>files=30
>buffers=30
>device=ansi.sys
>      =himem.sys
>      =smartdrv.sys
>
>also is there any speed advantages using a perm swapfile?
>there seems to be when I am using a 33mhz computer.

There are speed advantages; they are more noticeable when you have many
applications and files open and you keep switching from one to the other.

>Please Email me with any advice.

If you learn something useful, please share it with us!

Happy Holidays!

--
Raul A. Baragiola                               \Internet: raul@virginia.edu
Dept. Nuclear Engnr. and Engnr. Physics          \Phone: (804)-982-2907

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec20.125859.29782@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> rb9a@kelvin.seas.Virginia.EDU (Raul  Baragiola) writes:
>In article <5174.2770c349@cc.curtin.edu.au> Thomson_PW@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>>I have trouble creating a permanent swapfile in windows V3.
>>
>>Every time I try and run swapfile a error message pops up telling
>>that there is a conflicting divice driver in config.sys.
>>I have tried taking out several drivers and even deleting the file
>>but nothing seems to work.
>>My computer is as follows;
>>
>>386/20 Eeto
>>4 meg ram
>>Evervision EGA + 512k Eagle(?) card
>>65m hd.
>>

>So far we have heard many reports on this; the common factor seems
>to be the use of a SCSI hard-disk interface, which Windows seems to
>have problems dealing with.
>
>>config.sys goes somthing like this;
>>files=30
>>buffers=30
>>device=ansi.sys
>>      =himem.sys
>>      =smartdrv.sys
>>
>>also is there any speed advantages using a perm swapfile?
>>there seems to be when I am using a 33mhz computer.
>
>There are speed advantages; they are more noticeable when you have many
>applications and files open and you keep switching from one to the other.
>

>>Please Email me with any advice.
>>

>If you learn something useful, please share it with us!
>
>Happy Holidays!

Hmm, windows doesn't seem to mind me having a permanent swapfile on logical
drive N on my CDC-Wren IV on an Adaptec AHA5142B SCSI controller.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254