[comp.windows.ms] Corel Draw! as a font editor

djbpitt@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David J Birnbaum) (12/22/90)

In article <18207@thorin.cs.unc.edu> fritsch@hatteras.cs.unc.edu
(Dan Fritsch) writes:

>FONTS:
>  - Over 150 scalable fonts (.wfn)
>  - Ability to create custom fonts by modifying existing
>    ones, or starting from scratch (.wfn export feature)
>  - You can now convert any .wfn font to Adobe Type 1
>    format using WFNBOSS (and vice versa). This means that
>    you can import a Type 1 font, modify and save it, and
>    export it as a new Type 1 font. Those with postscript
>    printers (or ATM or SuperPrint) have access to all of
>    the fonts that come with Corel Draw. I have converted
>    the Caslon and Garamond equivalents and can now use
>    them in Ventura Publisher and Ami Pro. Adobe Type 1
>    converted .wfn fonts appear to be of fairly high quality
>    (in my humble opinion).

I spoke with someone at Adobe about this, who said that new Type I fonts
created by Corel Draw 2.0 lose hinting information.

So, does anyone know of a Type I font editor that includes hinting,
produces the necessary metric files, and runs on any IBM-ish platform
(ms-dos, windows, os/2)?  Something similar to Fontographer for the Mac?

Thanks,

David